40| prepping and planning

I spent Friday morning planning out what was going down tonight, I had the perfect idea but I had to get through my classes in order to get it done, thankfully I had DADA and Potions which I enjoyed so it shouldn't go too slowly. Even if Snape was the teacher, if I just keep my head down and do what he instructs he usually doesn't bother me much, anymore. I demolished my breakfast hoping to get to the class on time after a late wake up, I had got distracted writing letters to Fred, Sirius and George to tell him I miss him just as much as he misses me.

I ran through the halls trying to sort my untidy uniform out, I usually looked presentable but today was not one of those days. Luckily even in my sleepy state I made it to the class three minutes early, resulting in no argument from Snape. Which let's be honest, no one can be bothered for.

"Today you will be practicing and perfecting a protection charm, a very powerful one at that." He snarled scanning his eyes at each student around the room "Salvio Hexia...this will protect the area you spell around. This protects it from hexes which is why this is taught in Defence against the dark arts rather than charms, do.you.understand." He growled the last few words clearly not willing to take a 'no' from anybody. "Very well, you must build on your charm until you believe it has worked while your partner throws a hex towards it. Nothing too dangerous I would hate to have to deal with a dead body."

I quickly stood up making my way towards Ronnie on the other side of the room before I caught sight of the blonde girl she had been with when we weren't talking, Daphne I think her name was but they looked awfully friendly, a little too friendly. I looked around the room seeing there were no others free and I returned to my seat, prepared to do it alone. "Guess that leaves you with me Potter." A sharp cocky voice spoke up from behind me and I rolled my eyes before turning to meet his.

"Did you seriously just swap with Blaise and Goyle so you could work with me, I saw you partnered up two seconds ago Malfoy." He smirked in the most arrogant way I had ever seen angering me, I couldn't forgive him. Not even for poisoning me, for poisoning Ron, fighting Fred and for all his attempts to kill Dumbledore for the dark Lord.

"Might've done, but anyway I thought we were cool, you did save my life" he only sounded proud that I went through so much trouble to help him, frustrating me like never before. "I saved your life because I'm nothing like you. You were wrong about me, I'm not dark. I'm in Slytherin because I'm ambitious, I want power. But not like you, I would rather die than become a slave to Voldemort, I'm not a coward!" I whispered harshly to him before turning back around grabbing my wand from the desk aggressively, softly swaying it in a downwards motion "salvio hexia" I spoke out repeatedly, blocking out the evil thoughts running through my head about the boy I still knew was standing behind me.

"Listen Katherine I-"

"I don't want to hear it, I shouldn't of fucking done it!"

"Done what?" Draco questioned eyebrows raised at my randomness. "Saved your bloody life!" To my surprise he actually looked hurt by my words, before all of this I definitely would of felt pity for him, but I really couldn't care less at this point I truly hated Draco Malfoy.

-

I set out at lunch to the Whomping Willow knowing the majority of people would be scoffing their faces full of food during this time. I carefully threw a rock at the knot in the trunk at the base of the tree. Finding this out to immobilise it from attacking by Lupin when hearing about his transformations from his days at Hogwarts. I went through the passage keeping the lumos charm on my wand as the only source of light, leading me straight to the shrieking shack, although filthy, I knew I could fix it easily. It was perfect.

"Tergeo!" Once called out the dust that had settled on items of furniture and all areas of flooring began lifting from it's place disappearing into this air. I looked around at the filthy broken furniture almost visualising Remus' time down here, the loneliness the anger he must of felt, it was heart wrenching. The claw marks still engraved into the flooring and walls along with torn clothing still in shreds in the corner. "Reparo" I shouted pointing my wand at any item broken, I was completely satisfied with how it now looked, it was now cosy and a perfect place to be alone without any interruptions.

Next part of the plan was getting the snacks and taking them to the spot but I knew I would need help with that so I would have to go to the great hall and grab Ginny. The only one brave enough to join me without paranoia of getting caught.

I walked casually in the Hall not wanting to draw in too much attention but where my friends usually sat was now empty the only ones beside them being Dean, Seamus and Neville. "You alright there Kat" Seamus asked first at my disappointed expressions looking around the room. "Oh yeah just needed Ginny's help with something" I took a seat next to him now knowing I would have to wait to get on with the next step. "What is it you need help with, we can help you..." Neville asked sweetly and I couldn't help but have my heart melt at how adorable he was.

"Really, it's risky..." Neville gulped now questioning whether this was the right thing to do, "course we will!" Dean spoke for him wanting to help me out. "It involves going to the kitchens though." I spoke guiltily giving them all a look of 'are you sure?'

"Thank god, this food isn't great anyway." Seamus answered standing from his seat, I chuckled standing too the other two following suit.

-

"How do we get in there then?" Neville asked nervously clearly regretting coming along, "don't worry Nev, we won't get caught. Fred said something about tickling a pair..." we all laughed together at how stupid that sounded before Seamus leaned forward stroking his finger against the fruit portrait that hung against the wall, only making us laugh more.

To all our surprise the painting opened up with a click just like the Fat Lady did, as they all stepped out the way to allow me through first, like proper gentlemen. "No students in the kitchens!" An elf spoke with a rather disgusted look on her face. "Fred told me to tell you I'm his girlfriend..."

"Master Weasley sent you?" Her expression quickly changed at the mention of his name into an excited one, clearly he got on well with the elves here. Which wasn't in the slightest surprising he was always up to mischief. "Yes I'm Katherine Potter" I answered backing up closer to the boys feeling uncomfortable in the situation.

"Mistress Potter of course! Master Weasley has spoke of you before" she said happily now rushing around bringing various trays of freshly baked goods as well as bags of already made up treats. "What can Winky get you Mistress!" I smiled now warming up to the cheery strange looking elf, very different to the others I had seen. Her eyes were more droopy and her nose smaller than I had seen on any other elf before.

"Dobby can help you with looking!"

"Dobby's here!" I screeched looking around frantically, "He is in the back room Mistress" she spoke with a smile showing of her not so pleasant teeth, "please call me Katherine!" I asked pleadingly not enjoying the name she had given me, it sounded much too formal for my liking.

"Mistress Katherine Potter, here to see Dobby!" I smiled at his words hugging him tightly, if I had known he was working in the castle I would of definitely come in here sooner. "Just Katherine Dobby, you're a free elf remember..." he shook his head in refusal bringing out more snacks than there was in outside the room and my eyes beamed, tonight was going to be perfect. "Um- Dobby do you think I could take a crate of firewhisky?"

"Anything for you Mist- Katherine Potter" I laughed at his struggle to just call me by my name reaching under the shelf below the food pulling out a box full of twelve bottles of firewhisky. "Dobby I seriously owe you one! But first do you think you could apparate it to the shrieking shack, the foods okay but I can't get caught with this..." he nodded and clicked his fingers disappearing along with the drinks from thin air.

"Boys, in here!" They rushed in moments later liking the look of the snacks before us, "help yourselves and then we can take everything else down to the shrieking shack..." they didn't respond just began rummaging through the pile before us taking their pick on anything they wanted.

- had college today and till Friday but I actually managed to get two chapters out wth! ❤️