chapter 65 ~ 𝒅𝒆𝒕𝒂𝒄𝒉𝒆𝒅 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒚

CONTAINS STRONG LANGAUGE, MENTIONS OF ABUSE, ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION, & ANGST

_

     I pressed my first bottle of hongju against my lips that night, leaning against the kitchen island as my eyes fluttered closed in numbing satisfaction. The alcohol slowly flowed through my veins, turning every feeling I had into a duller version of its former self. I didn't want to feel, didn't want to think. I hoped that downing enough of that bitter liquid would leave me a mindless, drooling mess and that I would wake up the next morning and completely forget about what I'd gotten myself into. Just the thought of ruining myself with more bottles of hongju put a pained smile on my face.

     As the night ticked on into the early morning, I stumbled back and forth from the fridge to the recycling bin in the pantry to the left of the front door. Back and forth, back and forth, nothing but alcohol on my mind as I longed to numb the shocking pain that pierced my heart. I yanked another bottle from the fridge - my fifth at that point - and popped the cap, wrapping my lips around the clear glass neck of the bottle and stepping out into the center of the kitchen.

     "Look at you," I hummed teasingly to myself, a pitiful smile blossoming on my swollen lips. "So stupid, such a love-struck moron."  I chuckled at myself for slurring such an easy word. "Stupid Yumin.  Falling for everyone in sight. Should've known they would cheat. They're all cheaters. Cheater, cheater, cheater-" As I twirled about in a circle, the soju bottle slipped from my grasp, shattering on the floor at the foot of the island stools. I frowned at the mess I'd made, my vision dancing in a flurry of black and white splotches.

     "Wellll, fuck."

     "Yumin?"

     I startled at the sound of my own name, blinking rapidly into the darkness as I tried to focus on the form stepping out of the living room. Tingles raced up my spine; I was too drunk to deal with yet another argument with someone and I didn't want them finding me like this at such an odd hour. I made to step back, misplacing my foot and wobbling about for balance before I was wrapped securely in someone's arms. The feeling of someone beneath my hands made me flush, burying my head in the crook of their neck with a put-out groan as my eyes shuddered closed.

     "Yumin, what're you- Have you been drinking?"

     I could faintly recognize the voice rumbling beneath me as Jimin's, my hearing muffled as it crackled like static in my ears. His arms tightened securely around my waist, holding me upright as my body threatened to go limp. Nodding in reply, I listened as Jimin sighed, hauling me away from the broken glass and fizzy liquid on the floor to glare down at me through the dark. 

     "Why're you drinking, angel? You're-" I smirked up at the blonde, my head lolling back on my shoulders as I listened to the worry coating his gentle voice. "God, you're so drunk."

     "More soju!" I cackled, bending backward as I made grabby-hands at nothing specific. Jimin hauled me back upright, reaching up to grab my chin and tilt my face towards him.

     "Angel."

     "What's going on in here?"

     The lights to the kitchen flicked on without warning, forcing an agitated whine from my throat as I hid away in the crook of Jimin's neck. The light sent searing pain through my head, making me tremble with discomfort as the alcohol burned through my wasting body.