chapter 31 ~ 𝒊'𝒍𝒍 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒕𝒆𝒄𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖

CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE, FLUFF, & MINOR ANGST

_

     4:12 AM. Jungkook whined under his breath, longing for the comforting feeling of sleep to come and slap him across the face. The red-haired boy shut his eyes tightly, grabbing at the end of his pillow and burying his face against it. Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep, he chanted to himself, exhaling shakily as his brain remained busy with frantic thoughts. Jungkook groaned under his breath, careful as to not wake the sleeping brunette behind him. Yumin twitched in her sleep, pushing her back against his and sighing with relief at finding the redhead still curled up beside her. Jungkook lifted his head to peer back at her, watching carefully as her side rose and fell with each shaky breath, her hands fisted against the bedsheets as she quietly whimpered under her breath. He turned around slowly, cautiously wrapping his arm around Yumin's waist and pulling her closer to him. Jungkook pressed his forehead against the nape of the girl's neck, sighing listlessly against her skin.

     Did you really tell her you loved her? Jungkook thought to himself, the guilty feeling of doubt settling in his chest. His heart throbbed angrily in his chest, making the redhead want to rip it out and toss the useless muscle away. Why would you put yourself out there like that!? An unnerving feeling settled in Jungkook's stomach as his arm tightened around Yumin's waist, remembering the way she'd thread her fingers through his newly dyed hair, telling him how much she loved him. Her low, throaty, passionate tone had sent a searing hot streak through his stomach, making him want to both cuddle the brunette and pound into her at the same time. Jungkook shook the sinful thought from his head, nuzzling his head against Yumin's neck. She risked herself for you; anything could've happened and yet she still made sure that I wasn't the one in the way. Bile rose in the back of Jungkook's throat as he remembered Soojin; she never did anything for Jungkook. He was always the one there for her, and yet Soojin never tried to show him how much she cared about him in any way.

     Because she didn't.

     The memory of Bin Soojin made Jungkook's heart lurch, tears pooling in the corners of his eyes and overflowing onto his soft, pale cheeks. It hurt too much to remember how hard he'd tried to keep one special person in his life, only for her to lie and cheat and break him until he felt like he was nothing. Jungkook cried quietly against Yumin, the sleeping brunette groaning quietly as she stretched out her leg. His whole body trembled anxiously as he slowly began to grow cold, his heart feeling empty and lifeless within his chest.

     Yumin whimpered, her back arching in a stretch as she shakily turned over and clung to the redhead's torso. She exhaled heavily, her breathing shallow as she groaned in pain. Jungkook blinked the tears from his eyes, brushing his hand gently along her stomach. Yumin exhaled shakily, her hands fisting the front of his shirt. "Jungkook," she murmured listlessly, nuzzling her head against his chest.

     "I'm right here, angel. I'm not going anywhere," Jungkook whispered, gently pressing his lips against the brunette's forehead. A tremor ran up Yumin's spine as her eyes fluttered open, pupils dilated as she peered up at the redhead.

     "Kookie," she mumbled, rubbing her face against his chest. She cuddled closer to the boy's small form, careful to keep the weight of her leg off her right foot. Jungkook sniffled, reaching up to wipe the tears from his eyes before gently folding the brunette in his arms, resisting the urge to wrap all his limbs around the exhausted girl and squeeze her tightly. Yumin whined breathily, shutting her eyes tightly as she brought her right leg closer to her abdomen.