chapter 67 ~ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒆𝒙𝒕𝒖𝒑𝒍𝒆

CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE, ANGST, & MINOR FLUFF

_

     I'd gotten pretty good at shadowing my feelings with a false cover, a skill I had grown to adapt over several years of pain. It wasn't a healthy skill but a skill nonetheless. And I had to admit that I was rather good at it. A pained smile blossomed on my powdered face, dolled up for the day with a light amount of makeup that covered up the few scars and bruises that littered my skin. I trotted up the steps to the front door with Nari at my hip, the Shepherd panting from our two-mile walk of the morning, something I'd thought to do as a way to escape the house. Now, I had to return home, hesitantly wrapping my hand around the doorknob as I dreaded walking inside. 

     Haven't felt this way in a while.

     Despite the uneasy shiver that worked its way down my spine, I offered Nari a glance, the dog whining impatiently before I turned and pushed my way inside. I was met with the normal chit-chat of Jimin and Taehyung in the kitchen, working together to cook something for breakfast. I mumbled a cheerful, "I'm home," unhooking Nari from her leash and letting the Shepherd pad out into the living room in search of a place to lie down and nap.

     Standing to my full height, a pair of arms looped around my waist, pulling me flush back against a broad chest. Peering up, I found Jimin blinking down at me, a faint smiling tugging at his, rosy, doll-like lips as he bent down and pressed a kiss against my cheek. His touch made a broad grin break out across my face, one that was half genuine, half forced to make it seem as if I were truly, completely at ease.     

     "Hi, angel," the blonde hummed, trailing a line of kisses down my neck and collar. I spun on my heel, wrapping my arms around his neck and connecting our lips for a slow second. To my surprise, Jimin smiled against me, his fingers gently digging into my hips to pull me closer. It was as if everything were back to normal, even though things we far from it.

     "Hyung!" Taehyung scolded playfully, throwing a wide smirk over his shoulder. "Get your cute butt back here and help with breakfast."

     Jimin giggled, pressing a rushed kiss against my lips before backing away. "I love you," he murmured, sending butterflies alight in my stomach. I was shocked at the feeling but enjoyed it still.

     Footsteps sounded from behind me, drawing my attention away from the blonde to the two brunets entering the kitchen. Yoongi walked in first, offering me a worried glance before Jungkook came up beside him holding Yeontan in his arms, the maknae glancing from his two hyungs at the stove, to Yoongi, to me. We held gazes for a few moments, my body sparking with electricity. And not the good kind. The unsettled look in his once warm, brown eyes made chills coat my skin. I looked away, the heat rising in my cheeks as I took a step away towards the kitchen island.

     Yoongi and Jungkook exchanged a few quiet words behind me, Jungkook setting Yeontan down on the tiled floor before stumbling forward to sit beside me. I tried not to grow stiff in his presence, eyeing him over out of the corner of my eye as he leaned forward on his elbows with a sigh. He seemed worn out and tired, but I could still sense the spark of energy radiating off of him like normal. It was almost as if he too were wearing some sort of mask.

      "Okay, now that we've got the two children here," Yoongi started, walking over to stand at the edge of the island. His gaze floated knowingly over me and Jungkook and I felt my skin ripple with gooseflesh.