chapter 77 ~ 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈

CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE, BLOOD, KNIVES, MENTION OF MURDER, & ANGST

_

     Jungkook hadn't been able to get a lick of sleep throughout the night. He sat staring up at his ceiling as the position of the moon shifted and painted strips of pale light on the paint. His heart hammered dangerously quick in his chest as his gaze drifted to the knife on his nightstand. The brunet couldn't help but picture it dripping with blood, dark as ink, onto the floor of Rachel's bedroom. Soaking into her carpet as Yumin panted above her, her face hidden behind a clean, black mask that she had picked out from the bottom of her dresser drawer. Yumin, adorned all in black, no tears blurring her vision as she raised her hand repeatedly to slash across Rachel's paling body as she gasped for breath. The more he thought about it, the more worried he grew.

      How far would Yumin go to make sure he remained safe? Pretty fucking far. Far enough to wish death upon the person who harmed him. Jungkook knew Rachel and Yumin had issues in the past, but this had set her over the edge. What Rachel had done to him had flipped a switch in Yumin's head to where she would stop at nothing to get revenge. Not even revenge; she just wanted his assaulter gone. 

     Forever.

     Jungkook began to worry about Yumin the more his intrusive thoughts set in. Did she have more weapons? Would she go so far as to harm herself? Who else did she wish to kill? Yura? Sitting up in his bed, he flipped the covers off of his lower body and stood upon numb legs. His feet led him out into the hall and to the next bedroom where he found Yumin tucked beneath her sheets with her eyes shut tight in a restless sleep. Slipping in bed beside her, Jungkook pulled the brunette against his chest, not caring if he woke her, and breathed in her scent until his head felt fuzzy. It was now his job to protect her; to defend his protector and make sure she didn't get herself into irreversible trouble.

     In his arms, Yumin groaned softly, burying her face into her pillow as she wiggled beneath his touch. She sniffled as a tremor worked its way down her spine, Jungkook linking their hands together against her mattress to hold her in place. He was afraid she'd slip away if he let go, and if she did, she'd do unspeakable things as a way to receive justice. The thought made Jungkook cringe as his cheeks flushed a dark crimson. He just wanted to reverse the clock to where he never met Rachel and their biggest problem in life was trying to keep Yumin safe from Yura. At least things had settled down then once they'd moved to Seoul. Now, everything had been ripped up beneath their feet and they were beginning to tumble down the pit to hell.

     Gently, Yumin tried to pull her hand from his with no luck, the brunet keeping it pressed securely against her mattress to hold her in place. Jungkook didn't want to imprison his partner, but he felt he had no other choice. It was for her safety. She of all people would understand that.

     "Jungkook," she complained sleepily, fisting her hand in her sheets. "Koo, let go, please?"

     "N-No. I don't want you getting in trouble."

     "I'm not, don't worry. You can let go of me."

      Reluctantly, Jungkook released her hand and brought his own against her stomach. He kept her rooted against his chest with his head buried in the side of her shoulder, his breath wobbly as his anxiety got the better of him.

      "Please don't do anything stupid," he begged. "Please."

      Yumin lay quiet for a moment, running her nails along the dips of his knuckles. "I'm sorry, Jungkook. I didn't mean to scare you."