chapter 75 ~ 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒚𝒐𝒖

CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE, MINOR EXPLICIT CONTENT, POSSESSIVENESS, MENTION OF DRUGGING, NEEDLES, & FLUFF 

_

     A million thoughts swarmed around Jungkook's head as he settled in for the night. His arms were draped over his sheets, positioned against his chest as he stared blankly up at his ceiling. There was nothing he could do to calm his anxious mind. Reading, gaming, forcing his eyes closed until he felt a headache begin to split his skull in half. Nothing. Finally, with a sigh of defeat, the brunet rolled out of bed, adjusting his rumpled shirt across his chest before stalking out into the dark hallway.

     Without a thought, his feet unconsciously led him next-door to Yumin's room. He rapped lightly on her door, pressing his ear up against the painted wood to see if he could hear any movement from inside. She hadn't gone to bed that long ago; maybe a half hour or so. There were times when Yumin struggled to drift off to sleep, and other times she passed out as soon as her head hit the pillow. The thought brought a listless smile to Jungkook's lips, but there was still no sound from the opposite side of the door. Too tired to bother waiting, the brunet forced his way inside and shut the door quietly behind him.

     He inhaled the scent of something floral and earthy that always seemed to linger around Yumin, like petrichor, the smell after a fresh rainfall. Stepping lightly about the floor, Jungkook made his way towards Yumin's bed and slipped beneath the covers, facing her back as he watched her side rise and fall with each breath. He didn't wish to wake her. The fearful thought that she would force him out of her bed once more flashed briefly through his mind as he draped an arm over her waist, hugging her against his chest. All he wanted was to hold Yumin close, but the reminder of the fear and anger that had swirled about her tear-filled gaze that morning brought much pain to his heart.

     With a hum, she flipped over to face him, nuzzling her face in the crook of his neck and tugging him closer. Every move was purely out of instinct, the brunette latching on to any form in her sleep so that she could doze safely and comfortably. Jungkook smiled lazily as he let his eyes flutter closed. He drew his hands up and down her back, exposed by the bra Yumin wore to bed that night. Fading bruises littered her entire body, most now long gone from healing, others still visible from hassles she refused to speak of.

     Jungkook couldn't help but wonder if any of the marks on her skin were from Rachel.

     Or him...

     His heart began to sink to his stomach at the reminder of putting his hands briefly on his girlfriend. The way his hand had jerked up quickly to grip her throat, silencing Yumin's rant as she spat out hateful words in his direction. In the moment he'd touched her and then pulled away, the amount of fear that had engulfed her gaze as her eyes flared wide made shivers run up his spine. Jungkook hadn't meant to hurt her. He was only thinking of a way to silence her and let his own words be heard, but he'd ultimately made things worse.

     Softly, Jungkook traced circles against the small of Yumin's back. She leaned into his touch, tangling their limbs together as she unconsciously drew him ever closer. Her brow furrowed in her sleep as if she were dreaming and Jungkook gently kissed away the tension as he trailed his lips down the bridge of her nose. It felt so good to kiss her without anything between them. Without seeing pain reflected in her gaze as she sniffled back tears. After a moment of silent watching, Yumin's eyes began to flutter awake. Her pupils dilated as she gazed up at him through the dark, her limbs retracting to her side of the bed with sluggish movements.