chapter 105 ~ 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒉𝒔

CONTAINS MENTIONS OF DEATH, NEEDLES, ABUSE, & ANGST

_

𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝐭𝐡, 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟗

_

       November 6th, 2019. About three-thirty in the afternoon. That's when I remember waking up. Everything was a blur and I lay in my hospital bed with needles and pads stuck to the crooks of my arms, my chest, even my stomach. I was naked beneath my gown but everything under me was warm as if I hadn't moved from that spot in ages. 

        It took a minute for my eyes to adjust to the room around me. I inhaled the putrid scent of medicine and tiles scrubbed with bleach and everything nasty about the surrounding rooms down each corridor. When I went to move, I found myself nearly paralyzed. My limbs felt stiff and my joints cracked painfully as I stretched out beneath my sheets with a groan that made my throat constrict. It was dry and I felt extremely parched. Looking about my room in search of a source of hydration, my door clicked open and a tall, blonde woman in purple scrubs and white tennis shoes padded in. Upon seeing my open eyes, she froze, body running frigid before something of a whimper became audible and she fled the room. I stared after her, confused, and waited for her or someone else to come back to inform me where exactly I was.

        There was a slight commotion down the hall when a man in all white flew into my room with two nurses at his heels. He made straight for my bedside, his hands reaching out to grab at my face and force my eyes further open. I shoved him away sluggishly and sat staring at the three strangers before me with my brow furrowed.

      "Wha-whe-eh..." I made to speak but nothing came out. My throat seized up and the words came out in a cough, my eyes widening in fear as I stared up at the doctor.

       "It's okay," he cooed. "We didn't think you'd wake up. This is wonderful."

       A look of pure relief washed over his face and I became even more worried. They hadn't expected me to wake up. I took one of his hands in mine and pulled on it twice. I wanted to know why I was unconscious in the first place. The last thing I could remember was the disgusting aroma of my apartment and my albino shepherd barking up a storm so loud it made my head hurt. The doctor leaned closer and pressed his palm flat on my forehead. His nurses were hurriedly dashing around checking my vitals and updating documents on the computer to my left, but no one had answered me yet.

       "Do you remember what happened?" he whispered calmly, sitting on the edge of the hospital bed. I shook my head no.

     "You had an accident while at home with your fiancé. He said you tripped backward and hit your head on the countertop. You suffered a concussion." He paused, and I glanced down to find that his nametag read Lee. "At first, we thought it was only minor, but after a day went by and you didn't wake up, we started to worry."

       I pointed at my wrist as if I were wearing a watch. When Dr. Lee cocked his eyebrow in confusion, I pointed then to the window. Again and again, I pointed until he straightened his back with a grunt. 

       "You want to know what day it is?"

       I shook my head after a second thought.

       "You want to know how long you've been unconscious."

       An eager nod. I sat staring up at the brunet for what felt like minutes as I waited with my breath held for him to answer me. Off to the side, behind him, the two nurses sat with their faces turned down in pity as they watched me. Tears began to form in my eyes the longer the silence closed in around us before finally, Dr. Lee spoke.