chapter 106 ~ 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓

CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE, MENTIONS OF ABUSE, BRIEF ATTENTION TO USE OF ALCOHOL, ANIMAL ABUSE, MEMORY LOSS, CORTICAL-HIPPOCAMPAL INTERACTIONS, MENTION OF MEDICATIONS, & ANGST

_

      I stared Min Yura dead in his cold, lifeless eyes as they forcefully warmed at the sight of me. I was all too familiar with his deceptive gaze; my nurse even began to swoon as she stepped aside to let him walk up to my bed. He knelt before me and grasped my hands in his, his palms rough and worn, the underside of his nails caked with what I hoped was dirt and not blood. A smile bloomed on his pale face before he enveloped me in his strong arms, biceps covered in black ink, and stole the breath from my lungs.

      It wasn't a good theft. I felt sick to my stomach, more than I had at the smell of the hospital patients dying in their beds around me. Every distant, out-of-reach memory came flooding back and I had to fight the urge to shove Yura down on his ass. He pulled away and gave me a relieved smile but I could only imagine what plans he had for me once I was discharged. Choking on a sob, I felt his hands lace with mine and squeeze.

      "You don't know...h-how long I've been waiting for you, princess," he exclaimed, a smile building up on his chiseled features.

       "Three months," I finally whispered. The nurses around us widened their eyes in surprise at the sound of my scratchy voice. Yura didn't seem to notice.

       He nodded. "I didn't think you were gonna wake up."

      The nurses excused themselves as to give me and Yura our privacy and I blinked up at my nurse who I'd grown fond of as if silently begging her not to leave me alone with that man. But she didn't notice. With a cheerful wave, she shut the door to my room and steered the other two somewhere down the hall to resume their duties.

       Yura stood at his full height to sit beside me on my bed. His hand found mine and I let his rough, worn fingers explore my paled skin with a sense of affection I'd only seen in him a few times before.

       "You remember who I am, don't you?"

       Of course I do, you moron. I glared across at Yura with my tongue poking at the inside of my cheek. I could've sworn his name had slipped off my tongue the moment he'd appeared in my doorway.

      A nod.

      "They called me as soon as you woke up; I'm sorry I couldn't get down here sooner."

       "When do I get to come home?"

       Yura paused for a moment, his eyes scanning over my face in a searching manner. "I'd assume soon, but they might want to keep you for a bit... You just woke up, honey."

       The brunet carrassed the side of my face lovingly, his thumb lingering close to my lips as if he wished to draw his thumb over them. "I'll make sure you can come home as soon as possible. I'm not gonna leave until you do."

       My body flooded with both relief and terror. At least I wouldn't be alone anymore, stuck in a cold, brightly-lit room with strangers flitting in and out of my door at odd hours of the night, but after our last encounter, I was scared of what Yura might do to me. I resisted the urge to ask him why he'd slapped me so hard, why he'd lied to the hospital - said that I tripped instead of telling them that it was his fault I'd been unconscious for the past three months.