The First Night

It's been hours since anyone has seen her, and James never saw Henry get so mad in his life. Henry hardly knew who she was, but he defended her like she was a lifelong friend. James was mad too, of course, he just didn't show it. Even for Gordon, that was way over the line. Thomas was mad at Gordon too, as his new friend was lost somewhere on the island, and he sure as hell couldn't find her! However, after Henry was done giving Gordon the chewing-out of a lifetime, Thomas sheepishly explained why what he did was so terrible. Gordon then understood why she didn't say anything, why she ran away crying. He. Felt. Horrible.

  It was about 8:35 p.m., all the engines were in their sheds. Everyone was on edge, except Edward. He was the only one who had no idea what was going on, but he sure did notice that everyone was acting funny. 

   He looked at Thomas, who had gotten a new coat of blue paint, and the number 1 on his sides.

"Thomas, where's your friend? I haven't seen her since I left the yard." Edward asked.

   Thomas didn't say anything. No one said anything for what felt like forever. Then James felt like it was appropriate to chime in.

"Gordon scared her away." the black engine said.

"What do you mean Gordon scared her away, James!?" Edward exclaimed.

"I mean what I said. We all watched her run away."

"And you all did nothing?!"

"We didn't know WHAT to do, Edward!" Thomas chimed in. "Henry did chew him out, though."

"But she's still missing!" Edward spluttered. "She could be anywhere on the island! She doesn't even know where she is!"

   He noticed Gordon reverse back into his shed sheepishly.

"Gordon, you're better than that.." Edward sighed. He didn't feel like chewing him out. His main mission was to find Maddy.

"We gotta tell Sir Topham Hatt.." muttered Henry. "He needs to know she went missing.."

   They all agreed. They needed to look all over the island just to find one tiny girl..or so they thought. Thomas had remembered that STH said that Maddy were to stay in the back of the sheds, in a bed of her own. He then looked at James.

"Hey, James, go check the back of the sheds, maybe she's there."

"Why would she-" "Just trust me, James!"

   James grumbled, switching into his human form. As he looked in the back of the sheds, he saw a small bed, perfectly sized for a small gal. He approached it, doubtful that she was even there. Come on, out of all the places on the island, and she'd be there?

"Maddy? You back here?" he called out. "Please be, because I don't want to search the island for you."

  He waited a few seconds. The bedsheets moved, and a very tired, very sad Maddy made herself known. James had to look away, as her pajamas consisted of only a bra and comfy pants.

"Hmn..?" she yawned. "What do you want, you bastard..?"

"..She's back here." James said, going back to his spot in the sheds. "She's fine."

"Oh goodie. Gordon, apologize." Edward said sternly. "Now."

"Don't bother.." she said. "No one ever means it anyway. Can I go back to sleep..?"

  No one answered, so she took it as a yes.