Shattered Among The Stars

"James, Henry tells me you've caught a wonderful sight this afternoon. Is that true?" Edward spoke, approaching the dashing young man.

"Huh? Oh. Yeah. It's just Maddy's sm-"

   He didn't get to finish his sentence as his phone was snatched away from him.

"Oh..look at that light in her eyes..all from petting a cow?"

"Yes. Now give that back!" he hissed, snatching his phone back. "I know it's a big deal, but did you have to swipe that from my hands?"

"Yes." Edward replied. "I miss her smile. We all do.."

"I just miss how she was in general.." James sighed, looking back into the sheds where she was still napping. "She was so care-free and would bully me over silly things. Make faces at engines that passed by. Now, she hardly talks and always has this look of terror on her face..and-"

"..She doesn't blink. We know, James."

"It's creepy! Every time she looks at me, she looks like she knows everything I've ever done! Even when she giggles, it's empty! Creepy! Ugh..!" he shuddered.

"Well.." Edward hummed, putting a hand on his shoulder. "She's been through a lot. A lot more than we've ever had in the hundred or so years we've been around, and she's not even thirty. Who knows what terrible thoughts are going through her head. How scared she is. What she's not telling us. What she isn't telling YOU. There's a lot we don't really know about her, and I'm sure we never will. The best we can do is just be there for her."

"Is that really the best we can do..? Is she just...like that forever?"

"I don't know, James..I really don't.." Edward sighed. "It's upsetting, but we all know pushing her doesn't get us anywhere. I'm trying to be gentle. As are the rest of us. We just...have to be patient..maybe one day she'll be back to her mischievous self."

"What are you two talking about..?" Percy spoke, having just puffed in. "Is something wrong?"

"No, Percy." Edward replied, shaking his head. "We're just talking about Maddy..and this photo James caught. Get your phone out-"

"I might as well just frame it at this point."

"Oh! Good idea."

"Sarcasm, you old steak knife." he spat, still taking out his phone to show Percy.

"Wow!" peeped the little engine. "Look how happy she is! Aaaw.."

"Shh." James shushed. "She's napping in the back. Quiet down."

"Oops. Sorry.."

   As Thing 2, 5 and 6 continued to quietly chat about Maddy and other silly things, she had awoken. Not because they were too loud, but more like she was startled awake. 

"Wha.." she yawned, hoisting herself out of bed. Her face felt funny, so she sought it appropriate to take a look. "Why..do I..?"

   Upon closer inspection of her own face, Maddy noticed a faint yellowish ring surrounding her pupil. Okay..no need to panic. It's probably just the magic, is all. However, that didn't explain the creaking she heard.

"Hello..?" she whispered to herself. "James..?"

   The hairs on her neck stood up as she heard faint, evil laughter. Maddy had her head on a swivel, trying to figure out whether or not this was a cruel prank, courtesy of Thomas. It wasn't until she turned her attention back to her mirror, where she saw a faint figure of Diesel 10 staring right at her through the mirror. In an effort to not get captured again, she swung her fist into the mirror, shattering it into a million pieces. For a moment, the laughter got louder, the creaking more prominent. Maddy bent herself down, covering her head, begging him to leave her alone.