First Time for Everything

James and Maddy weren't known for having serious fights. The most serious anyone saw them fighting was the one time they bitched for literal hours on what the best shade of red was. It ended with Maddy sticking with a nice ruby red and James with a scarlet red. There wasn't much of a difference between the two shades, but they argued anyway. Henry and Edward thought they'd have to pry the two off of each other to keep Maddy from starting a physical fight. Good thing it ended when it did. But, like most healthy relationships, fights are going to happen, it's just part of life. However, James was known for just being chock full of venom when he wanted to be; he could be quite the nasty character if the conditions are right. So could Maddy, but the difference lies in how both of them react to said venom. Depending on the person, Maddy would either shrink back and go quiet, or spit out more venom. James just spat out his venom, acting aloof. Of course, he'd eventually calm down and apologize, but the initial bite was always so sour. Now Maddy in both her situations takes quite a while to calm herself back to her neutral state, but more often than not, she stays upset for longer than she is angry. In both situations, she tends to ignore whoever spat venom at her, which in this case, was James.

"It'll all blow over soon, Maddy.." Henry hummed as they puffed through his favorite forest. "I'm sure James will come to his senses and realize he overreacted to the entire situation...even if you did get a bit personal. But I know you didn't mean it."

"I didn't think he'd take it the way he did...is he really that self-conscious about his face..?"

"Well, he's commented once in a while that he looks older than Edward, despite being younger. I've heard you mention once that you like his crow's feet, so that can't be it. Though he does have a clown nose, and I don't think he likes clowns, so...I don't think he's self-conscious about his nose, just the fact that you commented on the clown thing..."

"I like the way he looks though..."

"I know, I know...now no more about that. Look at the trees. Doesn't the snow look nice on them?"

   Maddy brought her eyes up from the moving track to look at the trees that surrounded both of them. Henry was right, the trees did look nice. The ideal winter landscape. The trees looked so quaint as the occasional pile fell from their branches, the occasional bird flying from tree to tree, chirping along the way. She always liked going through the forest with Henry, it was a good pick-me-up. 

"I guess you're right, Hen.."

"Your reaction was completely unnecessary, James." Edward puffed. They had to double-head a train, so it was the perfect time for Edward to speak to James about his behavior toward Maddy.

"What are you talking about, Edward? You'd think Madison of all people would know when to be quiet about sensitive topics."

"And you should too! You know she doesn't like anyone using her full name. Not even Sir Topham Hatt uses it! For shame, James!"

"But-"

"No buts, James the Red Engine. She made one off-handed comment about you and you decided to do that. It was an accident and you know it. I know she pokes fun at a lot of us and I'm sure her initial thought would be like every other remark she makes; that you would be fine with it."