Heatwave

It had been a few weeks since Boomer and Ten crashed James' wedding, but after all was said and done, and Maddy was reprimanded for getting shot, everything had returned to normal. Mostly. Today had started off as an unusually hot day, causing everyone to wake up in a sweat. Almost everyone.

"Is she even alive?" Thomas asked, fanning himself with a magazine he found. "James?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." he said, looking down as his wife, who was face down in her pillow. "Earth to Maddy?"

   When James didn't get an answer, he took the opportunity to do something he'd always wanted to do, but never got the chance. Raising up his hand, his plan was to give his wife a quick smack on the rear.

"You smack my ass you'll be choking on your own funnel." she mumbled into her pillow as his hand was just inches away from its goal.

"You're no fun."

"I'm tons of fun. I just don't want my ass smacked." she grumbled, turning herself over. "It might stick."

"I'm not so sure that's how it works.."

"The moral is, don't touch me. It's too hot."

   She heaved herself out of bed and went over to her dresser, only to figure out all her hot weather clothes were not in there.

"...Where are my tank-tops."

"Oh, my dear, I'm sorry..!" Edward gasped. "I took all your dirty clothes to the laundromat...I must've taken them by mistake.."

"...Guess I'm not working today." Maddy mumbled, turning right on her heel to go flop back in bed.

"Don't you have something to take to Brendam Docks?" Percy asked. "And I don't think Nathan's around to help you out...he's doing something else."

"I refuse to combust in the middle of the tracks."

"You're going to have to go, Bee.." James said to her, putting a supportive arm around her waist.

"Can't you just wear a swimsuit top?" Thomas asked.

"No, you blue bitch. I don't even own a bikini." she hissed. "But I could wear something else.."

"Oh, sweet Lady.." she heard James whisper to himself.

"You be quiet up there. If I gotta go out, you're helping me slather sunscreen on myself, lest you want me to be bacon bits."

"Oooh...bacon.."

"Thomas will you just fuck off to your branch before I kick you there."

"Can you even move three feet without becoming a puddle of sweat?"

"I don't think you want to find out, TomTom." Emily giggled, gently shoving him out his berth. "Now leave before she actually kicks you."

   Once sufficiently covered in sunscreen and given a kiss goodbye, Maddy was off to pick up her load. She had no clue what it was or why it was going to Brendam Docks, and she didn't care. She just wanted to get it over with, go home and be in the comfort of her fan.

"I'm going to strangle that old man..I swear.." she hissed to herself as she made her way to her destination.

   Normally, she wouldn't be suffering as much as she was, but today was the day she finally forgot to charge her ear buds, which meant her only source of serenity was the noises of the island around her, which didn't help, because it was all loud and annoying.

"Do my eyes deceive me?" she heard a voice call. "Hullo, Maddy!"

"Nate." she spoke, not even bothering to look to her side. "If you've got something smart to say, I recommend you don't if you and your load want to stay on one track."