Paranoia

James was incredibly concerned for his girlfriend. She kept talking about being followed, and absolutely would not do any job on her own if she could help it. This wasn't normal, she loved doing stuff by herself. Now she just clung onto him, or her friends for dear life. It was just a normal morning, so far. James was in her bed again, as what had become normal for them, and was slowly waking up. He rolled over to wake her up, but was greeted by her already awake.

"..Up already?"

"..."

"Honey Bee?" he whispered, nudging her.

"..I didn't sleep."

"Why?!"

"Couldn't."

"..Nightmares?"

"Nightmares."

   He frowned. The nightmares were becoming more prominent in her life, and messing with her sleep schedule. If this kept up, bad things could and would happen.

"It's all in your head, Mad.." James hummed, bringing her closer. "There's no one following you..no one is after you.."

"It..really feels like they're is..what did I even do..?"

"Who knows..some of us here were hunted just because we're steam engines.."

"..what."

"James, why did you say that?!" Edward shouted.

"It was a slip of the tongue!"

"Who..who hunted you!?"

"Uh- No one. Don't listen to me, I'm just..James."

"You big red idiot. Maddy dearest..come here.."

   James bit his lip. Edward knew who they were talking about, and now she needed to know, or her paranoia might get even worse. Well, it'll get worse no matter what, so might as well tell her.

"Dad, what's he talking about..?"

"Well, my dear.." the old engine started off. "While you were in the hospital, Sir Topham Hatt went on a spree with bringing new engines to the railway..you've met Donald, Douglas and Salty. There's also Oliver, Bill, Ben, and BoCo. Oh, there's also Mavis, but I'm sure you two will acquaint soon enough. They all stayed here, obviously..but..one he brought made quite a name for himself. His name was Diesel 10, and what a wretched fellow he was."

"..His name even sounds scary."

"Yes it does, dearest. Anyway, he immediately took a disliking to us steam engines. We don't know why, either..he just..didn't like us. But he asked us one day if we'd heard of a girl. If we've heard of you."

"..I'm..sorry?" she stammered out. "Heard..of me?"

"Yes. We all lied and said no. This diesel was sketchy and there was no way we'd put you in danger. Well, he obviously didn't believe us, and started harassing us. James..well, he eventually caught the brunt of if when Diesel 10 overheard him swooning over you. He was now his main target. The only thing that saved his buffers is that Henry caught Diesel 10 in the midst of some plot to get him to crack. Sir Topham Hatt obviously wasn't going to deal with such danger and nonsense..so he sent him away before any real damage was done."

"So..that's why you were so anxious.."

"..Yeah..I was worried I would be followed and lead right to you."

"..But what does he want with me? I haven't done anything..!"

"..Thanks to your superhuman abilities and less than desirable fame across the globe..he thinks you're part of something even bigger. My dear, do you remember how you got your abilities?"