LNER Conundrum

Alfred knew that something was up with Bonnie. She wasn't who she said she was. This was a brash, snappy woman, not a quiet, reserved engine that everyone said she was. However, the B12 was fully prepared to use this knowledge to his own advantage, whether it was true or not.

   He watched her from afar when he could, her interactions with other engines, the softness with Duck, that Great Western bastard. Did he, too, know something that no one else did? Or, was he also tricked by whatever facade this woman was pulling. Was she a spy from the British Railway? No, she couldn't be, she was built right here on the island. But was she in a past life, if she had a past life at all? Alfred, nor anyone else knew or could prove if she was an old or new soul created by Her Radiance. Besides Bonnie herself. 

   And he knew just the question to ask her. All Alfred needed to do was wait.

   The opportunity came more quickly than he thought when he saw the Pannier bid her a farewell, leaving the self-dubbed 'frankenengine' alone in the shed. No one else was around that Alfred could see. His chance was now, and by Lady he was going to take it and run with it.

   Bonnie was minding her business, about to have a nap in the sheds, since she knew she wasn't needed for a while, nor did she have any music to record. It was peaceful and quiet, it was no better time for a nap. So she thought. 

   Just as she was about to drift off into a nice slumber, listening to the chirping birds, she caught a few wheels out of the corner of her eye. If anything, she was annoyed she wouldn't get to sleep.

"Whatever you need or want, I'm not answering to." she grumbled, not even bothering to look at who it was.

"I need nothing out of you, besides an answer to a question or two..." the B12 crooned. "You are a curious engine. I've never seen anyone or anything quite like you."

"If this is some attempt at flirting, it's awful."

"Of course not. You're far too small for me, and frankly, too boring. No no, I'm just curious.."

"About what, Alfred. Make it quick. I want to nap."

"Why don't you have a crew? The island's protocol's haven't changed, yet you still have no crew. You're against regulations.."

   He watched Bonnie's face contort ever so slightly, as if she was trying to come up with a quick answer.

"I don't need a crew, nor do I want one. I don't want people inside me, or to even think about it."

"Is that so?"

"It's very so. Is that it?"

"It's by far from...'it'." he responded, a vile smile spreading across his face. 

   He had Bonnie right where he wanted her.

   Duck felt grand. He always did as of late. He loved his significant other, and he knew with confidence that she loved him back. A best friend who put up with him and his rambling about the GWR. The Pannier was absolutely smitten. 

   As of current, he was to collect some ballast from the Arlesdale Railway. He was chatting with Jock,a teeny tiny yellow engine while he was waiting for his load to be filled.

"Remind me, she's that dark dark saddle tank, right?" Jock asked.

"Correct. Isn't she just grand?"

"Couldn't tell you." he laughed. "On the rare occasion she's up here with us, she doesn't talk much. "But I do think she's pleasant."