Laughter is the Best Medicine

It had been a few days since the incident with passengers and Maddy was still silent. Well, not silent, she spoke a few words every once in a while, but was quiet otherwise. She mostly either stayed in bed, or at the yards, shunting. When Edward asked what was wrong, she didn't answer. Thomas also asked, and got nothing. Henry was worried too, what could've hurt the tiny human? Gordon, though, didn't really care. He didn't find it very major at all. They were all stumped.

"What could've possibly happened to her..?" wondered Henry.

"Her meek human feelings got hurt." grumbled Gordon.

"Gordon! Be nice, damn it!" huffed the tank engine.

"You've been awful quiet, James.." Edward hummed.

"Huh? What?"

"Do you know anything?"

"About what?"

"Maddy."

   James paused. He completely forgot about the incident. STH was told about it, and James was just told to never ever snap at a passenger like that again. At least he didn't get into any major trouble.

"Oh, that."

"What do you mean 'that'?" questioned Thomas.

"She got into a scuffle with a passenger."

"...how?"

"She was sitting on my buffer beam..and a passenger didn't think she was safe there."

"..And that upset her?" scoffed Gordon. He found it ridiculous to get so upset over being yelled at."

"She was slapped, Gordon."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"WHAT?!"

   James winced at the loud, sudden noise. Everyone was talking at once.

"A passenger slapped her?!"

"What did they look like? Lemme at 'em!"

"Oh, the poor girl! Where is she now?"

"The disgrace.." 

   Even Gordon thought it was a little over the line.

"One at a time..!" the red engine shouted. He took a deep breath to analyze each of their questions."

"Yes, Edward, some rich old man smacked her into next Saturday. I don't remember what he looked like, Thomas. I don't know, Henry. I agree, Gordon."

   The engines all murmured quietly, trying to figure out a solution to cheer up their friend.

   They got nowhere. She was on the island for a month or two, and no one knew ANYTHING about her. Not even Thomas.

"Does ANYONE know what she likes? Thomas?"