Narrow Decisions

"That's..a lot.." Maddy muttered. "So Amelia was.."

"My soulmate." he frowned, looking down at the ground. "Someone's actions took her away from me."

"..Mm.." she hummed. "I'm..so sorry about that, Travis...I didn't know.."

"I shouldn't have expected you to know.." Travis sighed, rubbing his temples. "You're just a kid..not a mind reader.."

"Excuse me?"

"Well, a kid compared to me. Hey, don't hit me!"

"Don't call me a kid..!"

"I- Fine. But..just don't tell anyone, okay? I'll let them in once I'm ready.."

"Secret's safe with me.." she sighed, leaning her head against the wall. "So now what? I'm stuck in here with you until this thing passes. James is probably worried sick.."

"Nothing you can do." he shrugged. "But you can listen to my jokes and-"

"I will shove you outside and pray you get struck by lightning."

"Harsh, much?"

"Your jokes are AWFUL."

"My jokes are off the rails, thank you. You just have no ta- OW!"

"No more."

"Why do your little fingers hurt so much!?"

"Sharp nails." she spat back, letting his arm go.

"Well then- Wait, how'd you get close enough to-"

"I've been creeping up. Not my fault you're blind in one eye."

"Rascal." Travis sighed. "But what business do you have invading my personal space?"

"..."

"Squirt, you better have a good answer."

"I'm cold-"

"Oh, you poor baby."

"Excuse me, SIR. I'm still human, and I've got no fluff to keep me warm. My hoodie is soaked and you're the only other source of heat in this awful place."

"Awful? I think it's pretty cozy. Very isolated...away from everything."

"Mm.." she frowned, patting around for her phone. "Maybe they're still here.."

"What's still here?"

"Blood stains."

"..I'm sorry, what." he spluttered. "Was someone murdered in here?!"

"Close." she hummed, turning on her flashlight. Travis, in the little light her phone provided, could see her hand shaking. She wasn't telling him something. "It's been a while, so it's probably entirely oxidized."

"What are you talking about, Maddy..?" Travis asked, standing up to follow her around. "What happened here?"

"Should be...right about.." she murmured, her light finally shining on a discolored spot in the floor. "Here."

   Travis looked. There, dried on the floor, was the blood of some victim.

"What the FU-"

"..."

"You know something I don't." he frowned slightly, turning toward her. Her face was stuck in a grimace, her brow furrowed as she stared down at the stains.

"I never wanted to come back to this place, Travis."

"You?! What..!? Is this yours!?"

"Yes." she nodded, turning her flashlight away. "It's mine. I told you, I understand what it's like to be in your shoes. To be scared and hopeless that life was over as you knew it. I spent nearly a year in here, wasting away. All because of what happened to me. A choice I didn't make."