Violence Against Nature

Being the only relief engine on the island is something Bonnie never thought would be that big of an issue. As far as she knew, before she showed up, it was just Nate, but since he was shipped off to the Navy, she now stood as the island's only permanent relief engine. The Little Western now had to share her and she really never knew when she was going to be needed.

   That was just something Nate got used to. She, however, couldn't get used to the fact that she could be called upon in the middle of recording. The unpredictability of solo relief work made her anxious, and Duck could see it. Of course, whenever the little red [now blue, as to fit in with the Navy] Bagnall showed up for a visit, he helped out where he could, but inevitably he'd be called away again. Her hobby didn't exactly allow her to pick up where she left off.

"You look tired, anwyl..."

"I assure you I'm fine.." she whispered. "Just annoyed.."

"Allow me to guess...is it because you're too anxious to start your new cover?"

"I'm afraid I'll end up getting called upon in the middle of something.."

"Hmm.." the Pannier pondered, trying to think of ways to ease the anxiety she felt. "Think of it this way, you can practice on the rails. Really hone yourself in."

"Wouldn't that..give me away..?" she asked, rocking back and forth on her wheels.

"I wouldn't worry about it. You're a faceless artist. I, personally would be happy to be recognized. But I don't think many engines here listen to the type of music you cover. You're probably safe, little moth."

"I do need practice with this song..the lyrics are quite fast.."

"See? Aren't I so smart?"

"Mmmmmm..."

"You shouldn't have to think about it." Duck pouted, rolling his eyes. "I have all the confidence in you, yet here you are with none in me."

"For the record.." she spoke, cracking a rare, genuine smile. "You've got nothing but a rubber duck for a brain. Hate to break that to you."

"My word.." he replied, struggling to hold back a laugh. "Why can't you be this wise-cracking engine with others? They're scared of you and how calm you are."

"Because I don't love them. They're just coworkers I get along with."

"I- Oh." the green engine blushed. "So I get boyfriend privilege?"

"Essentially, yes."

   Bonnie had to hold back another smile as Duck's entire being was bouncing around from how happy that made him. She found it adorable how Duck's happiness was portrayed to flouncing and bouncing his chassis.

   Just then, however, Bonnie felt her own chassis vibrate. Groaning, she switched herself over to look at what it could be.

"Still no driver?" Duck asked.

"I refuse to put any human life in danger. Screw protocol. I can drive myself just fine. Plus, I think the controller gave up on trying to assign me a crew."

"Only you, BonBon."

"Only me indeed. I have to go. There's milk tankers that need to be taken from the dairy."

"Remember what I said, Bonnie." the engine said as she approached him. "Practice makes perfect."

"I know, Quacksworth." she mumbled, patting his cheek. "You stay out of trouble."

"I am perfectly behaved, thank you." Duck huffed. "Everyone else is the problem."

"Uh..huh.."