Devious Returns

"...What do you mean, KID, MAVIS." the saddle tank spat, the most confused he's ever been. "WE CAN'T- WE DON'T- CAN WE???"

"He's not actually your kid, doofus.." she giggled. "But he's my little underling, who sees me as his mom...so...only suits it to be that you're his dad."

"I did not- We didn't discuss this- How can you just yoink up a random engine and-"

"Will you calm down? Just say hi to Wally.." she said.

   Mavis then stepped off the tracks, revealing the cutest little tank engine, curious about all the others that stood before him.

"Hewwo!" he said happily. "My name is Wawwy!"

"..."

   All the engines currently at the sheds had their eyes on Wally, who only grew more nervous each passing second. That is, until, they all collectively 'aaaaaaaw'ed at Wally.

"HE'S SO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE-" Maddy sobbed, still in her feels from being adopted, but seeing an engine nearly as cute as Percy sent her right back to the waterworks. "I'M AN AAAAAAAUNT-"

"Is she okay? Who is she?"

"That's your aunt Maddy I've spoken about." Mavis smiled. "She's got something else going on, she's happy to meet you, I promise."

"Are you sure, Mama Mavis?"

"Yes, I'm sure..she really just has something else going on. C'mon. Let's talk to your dad.."

"H u h-" Nate choked, still very confused. "I did not agree to this, I ain't no baby daddy-"

"But Mama Mavis said so many cool things about you!"

"..She did, did she?" Nate hummed. "Like what?"

"Weww.." the little engine started. "She said that you reawwy wike to wewd!"

"I like to..what?"

"Weld, Love-a-bug."

"Oooh.." Nate nodded. "I do. Among other things.."

"Welcome to parenthood, Nathan." Edward said, still patting Maddy on the back, who was still ugly crying for several reasons. "You'll enjoy it."

"Will I?" he asked. "Seems like a lot of responsibility-"

"It's not as much as caring for a human child.." Henry said. "It's not like you have to change diapers and make sure he's fed.."

"Then what is it."

"Well, essentially what Mavis is doing. Teaching him. Preparing him for his own life. Being there for him, guiding him. That's what engine parenthood is like."

"..Well if you're going to put it that way-"

"You'll do fine, Nathan. Enjoy your time with your new family." 2 and 3 smiled, going back to consoling their still-sobbing daughter, leaving her own husband gob-smacked as to what he should be doing. He's never seen her cry that hard. Ever.

"Uh.."

"Be useful, James.." Henry frowned. "Grab the tissue box. She's getting snot all over Edward.."

"What else am I supposed to do!?" he grumbled, but still going to go get the box of tissues. "I haven't seen her cry that hard since.....since.....well, never! Not even at the wedding!"

"You can be here for her. Get in." Edward spoke, making room for James and the box of tissues.

   Handing her a tissue, James just gently put an arm around her, quietly trying to soothe her, as Edward had told him to do. Once Wally was out of sight with his new family, it made calming down much easier for her.