Gone Overboard

"Are you sure you're okay, Bluebell?" he asked a few days after that awfully hot day on the island. "It's not exactly like you to just pass out."

"I spent too long in the heat, Nate." she sighed. "These things happen, and next time, I won't forget my water b- You did not just use a shell on me."

"Maybe I did, maybe I didn't, but either way, you're in 3rd place." Nathan cheekily replied.

"Asshole."

"It's not my fault you weren't paying attention. Oh, and before I forget. Mavis felt bad that you weren't able to show up..so you think you can maybe show up this time?"

"I can today. I don't have anything to do, and even if I did, I'd have James helping me, since the fat man doesn't want another....incident with me. So I'm free."

"Oh, goody. Shame you couldn't make it. The water was so nice..."

"Were you paying attention to the water, or paying attention to Mavis?"

"Both- I mean-"

"Caught red-buffered." Maddy laughed. "When are you going to realize you two are pining for each other?"

"I don't like Mavis, how many times do I have to tell you that?" Nathan pouted. "We're just...friends."

"And I'm 'just friends' with my husband." she spoke, rolling her eyes. "Nathan, you dense ball of stupid, Mavis likes you!"

"Even if she did, what does she see in me? She's tall, goth and pretty..and I'm just....."

"You're cute and funny." Maddy snickered, pausing the game, much to his annoyance, but that was only because he was winning. "As much as I make fun of you, you're a pretty decent guy. Out of Mavis' league, but you're still a great guy."

"Are you trying to help me or insult me? I can't tell.."

"I'll leave that up to your discretion." she slyly responded.

"Man.." he grumbled, throwing his controller onto her bed. "You are one confusing person. What's your goal here, exactly?"

"My goal is to be amused by any means necessary."

"Any means necessary? What does that even mean."

"It means what I said."

"You know damn well my brain don't function like yours-"

"And that, my friend, is not my problem."

"You give me such a headache."

"Stop hanging out with me then. Simple." Maddy laughed. "If my presence is so bad for you, just leave-"

"Nah.." he sighed. "As much as a pain in the ass you are, you are fun, and you tolerate me..I think. You tolerate me, right?"

"Of course I tolerate you. If I didn't, we wouldn't be talking right now, or you'd be in a ditch.."

"You'd throw me in a ditch anyway."

"..Oh yeeeeah.." she hummed. "In my defense, you're easy to throw."

"Throw someone else for Lady's sake."

"Nah."

"..Y'know what." he frowned, standing up. "I got a game for ya. C'mere."

"...What's the catch."

"No catch. Just step out here, please."

   Reluctantly, Maddy listened, stepping out of James' berth. The sun was bright, and the sky was clear and a beautiful blue.