Disaster

James quietly hummed to himself as they made their way to pick up their trucks. He couldn't help but notice the little rectangle Maddy was on. What was it, exactly? He's seen his fireman and driver use one, but never bothered to even ask what it was.

"What do you have there, girl?" he asked.

"..A cellphone?"

"Cell..phone?"

   Maddy then had to explain over the next ten minutes what a cellphone was.

"Got all that?"

"..I uh..think so?" He wouldn't admit that he was a little afraid of the phone. She didn't need to know that. Maddy would never let him live it down.

Soon enough, though, James picked up his cars and was on his way to Maron.

.

.

.

.

.

"So, Thomas, how was your first day on the island?" Edward asked.

"It was great! I loved seeing all the new things around the island! I just hope Maddy had the same idea..Gordon didn't give her a very good impression.." the little engine sighed.

   He felt bad for her. Finally, a place for her to be accepted for what she was, and Gordon had to ruin it. Thomas just hoped that she'd stay on the island.

    As Thomas was wallowing in his thoughts about his dear friend, STH pulled up in his little car.

"Thomas, Edward. Good morning." hummed STH. "I heard there were complications with Maddy, yesterday. Is this true?"

"Yes, sir.." they said in unison.

"Gordon pushed a few buttons too many, and reminded her of her past." Thomas said solemnly. "She ran away before we could do anything, sir. Henry chewed his tender out, though."

"I see.." he said, sighing. "I'll give him my own stern talking to as well."

"I'm sure Gordon will also get his comeuppance from her too. The girl is sassy." chuckled Edward.

   STH and Thomas joined in. They both knew Edward was right, Maddy had quite the mouth. 

.

.

.

   Their laughter was interrupted by James' frantic whistling, and him crying for help. All three looked to see James being pushed by his cars, his brakes failing him at the worst time.

"They're pushing me! They're pushing meeee!" he screamed as he flew by.

"James!!" Thomas called out, going after the black engine. Edward tried calling out to him, but to no avail.

   Thomas chased after James as fast as his wheels could carry him. He heard the trucks giggling, telling each other to go on, to go faster. But as Thomas approached James, he saw something he never thought he'd see.

   Maddy was clinging onto James for dear life. She was stuck. It would be crazy for her to jump off, they were moving too fast!

"Shit..!" the little blue engine cursed. "James! I'm going to couple up to you from behind!"

"Hurry, Thomas!"

   And as Thomas slowed down, he heard something that chilled him to the core.

"James, I don't want to die."

   Thomas bit his lip as he watched James' brakes heave out flames and smoke. Edward was right. James' really needed to replace his brakes, but he never listened. 

   As he switched tracks, he barked at the guard in the brakevan to couple him up. They tried a few times, failing each and every one of them. Thomas was running out of time. James was approaching a sharp bend toward a cow pasture. They tried once more..

...and failed.

"I'm coming off the rails!!" a horrified James screeched.

  Destruction. That was all that Thomas saw as the smoke cleared away. Trucks were everywhere. James was rutted in the ground, completely off the rails. The guard? Fine. His driver and fireman? Fine. Maddy?

  Shit. Maddy! She was right on James' buffer beam. But she wasn't on his left side..so maybe she was okay..?

"Edward was right.." he gasped. "Cars can run an engine right off the rails.."

  He heard James groan. At least he was okay.

"Ow.."

"I'll go and get help James..stay right there!"

   Thomas chuffed away. Even while in pain, James scoffed. He was stuck. Where could he go? Nowhere. Not without injuring himself, anyway. After his own head cleared, he realized something was missing.

"..Maddy?" he croaked out. "Are you okay..?"

    Nothing. He looked around for her. Calling out her name.

And then he saw her. Face down on the ground next to him, blood staining her beautiful purple hoodie. Her skates were in shambles. He couldn't see much, but he knew she was in trouble. James just hoped and prayed she was breathing.

Only after the ambulance came did he see the damage to her front. A large gash on her face and several cuts along her body. He heard someone say it was a miracle she didn't break anything, but she was losing blood, fast.

If only he replaced his brakes.