Rewritten

It had been a few years since Mavis had stolen Nate's blueprints. Of course, she eventually told him where they went, but that was only after the three had begun construction. Needless to say, Nate was conflicted.

"Just..why?" he groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose, having brought it up once more after the initial shock. "Why did you steal my designs and stuff them in your boo-"

"I wanted you to have faith in yourself. They're being built, aren't they?"

"Yes, they're being built, but who on earth knows what they'll be like! They could be something awful. Worse than James."

"James has been completely rewired and he's one of the saddest engines I've ever seen, even after all the things that have happened. He's gone quiet, which is quite the blessing."

"But that's not who James is, you know that.."

"That's the curse that it bears. Unfortunate, but it's better than hearing him complain."

"You'd think he'd have moved on by now.."

"Well, would you have moved on from me?" she asked.

"Nope."

"Exactly. While I can't say I'm your first love, thanks to Jenny, I can say that's probably why James hasn't. She was his first love that he came to realize, and it'll probably be his last."

"Because there's nothing like her, right?" Nate laughed somberly.

"Nothing close." she responded, shaking her head. "No one who put up with him like she did."

"Ah, Mav, you're making me sad."

"I am? Well, I best fix that. With some good new."

"Is it Wally-related?"

"No."

"..Rosie and Trav related?"

"Nope!"

"Tell me then, Queen Bee!"

"I've heard that the littlest design is almost done. Only a day or two away from steamed up."

"Oh, what joy." he said sarcastically.

"They might not be an awful engine. Have a little positivity. Now where's my Lovey Buggy?"

"Mavis-"

"Where's my Lovey Buggy?"

"Heeeeere.." he groaned, a blush clear across his face, even more so apparent on the scar that sprawled across his face.

"Wheeeeere?"

"Right here.." he spoke bashfully, trying to hide his face away from his beloved.

"Thought so, now.." she grinned. "Will you be there when they steam up?"

"Now I think you know I can't answer that." Nate frowned softly. "I'm a relief engine. I never know what I'm doing until I'm told. Plus, for all I know, that engine could be faceless, and I'd like to...not witness that. It's like seeing a puppet being controlled."

"Have you actually seen a faceless engine? One that wasn't...dead?"

"Not for real, but-"

"You're worrying too much. I'm sure that engine will have a face. Eventually."

"Are you going to go meet them? He? Her?"

"I'm going to try, Nate." Mavis responded, smiling faintly. "Who knows if Victor will even let me in."

"Serves you right if he doesn't, stealing my blueprints.." Nathan grumbled.

"It was FOUR YEARS AGO. GOSH." she dramatically remarked. "I should be forgiven by now."