Lost

Numb. That's all James felt as he waited in the sheds for his friends to get back. He hadn't stopped crying since he watched it happen. He couldn't. His driver and fireman felt terrible for not being able to do anything. Normally, James would never ever let his friends see him like this, but at this point, he didn't care. He just stared blankly forward, not looking at anything in particular.

"..James?" a friend called out. He looked over. It was Henry. "What's wrong..?"

   Henry didn't get a real answer. James only babbled about. 

"James..James. Deep breaths. Use your words.."

"..Maddy..Maddy..Maddy's..gone."

"..Excuse me?"

"She's gone!"

"As in dead!?"

"No!!"

"Then what do you mean!?"

"He got her! I let my guard down and he fucking got her!!"

   It was now Henry's turn for his boiler to go cold. She was right all along.

"W..Well..stay calm..! We'll find her..!"

"I don't know where she was taken, Henry!"

"Can't you call her..?"

"My driver found her phone on the ground nearby. I can't, Henry. I fucking can't."

"..Oh..oh dear.."

"James! Henry! What's wrong?!" Edward called out. He immediately knew something was up when he saw James of all people crying. James never cries, at least that they know of.

"..Henry?"

"..Maddy's..kind of..missing.."

   The old engine paused for a moment.

"..Missing?"

"..It was..ah..him."

"....What." he frowned. "Please tell me you're kidding."

"I really, really, really wish I was, Edward.." Henry sighed. "How could I be kidding? Look at James!"

   Edward stood on the turntable, utterly dumbfounded. Did none of them realize he snuck back on the island? That Maddy wasn't crazy? Apparently not. But now they had a problem. A big one.

"Edward, you old coot, move!" bellowed Gordon. "Others would like to sleep!"

"Gordon, no one is in the mood for your pompous ass." Edward snapped.

"..Are..you okay?"

"Do I sound okay, Gordon?"

"..What happened."

"Him."

"What about him?"

"Who's missing."

"Thomas."

"He's coming home from his branch."

"Percy?"

"Mail run."

"Emily?"

"Helping the twins."

"..Duck?"

"He doesn't sleep here."

"....Mad..dy?"

"Bingo."

   Gordon took a second to piece together what happened.