Operation: Red Disasters

"Hey, Duck!" Thomas spoke a few mornings later. "Wanna come in on our plan?"

"What plan?"

"The plan to get Maddy to confess."

"..Why-"

"Because James needs to know-"

"You two young engines don't know what you're doing.." Edward sighed from the back of the sheds. He offered to fold Maddy's clean clothes while she was away. "She'll do it when she's ready.."

"Well we say she's ready now."

"..It isn't very Great Western, but fine. What's the plan?"

"Well first, we need roses. They're her favorite flower, and someone who can forge James' handwriting."

"We don't need forging..!" huffed Percy. "I highly doubt James has written anything she's seen!"

"..Okay then..we need someone to portray James in a love letter. I can do that, easy. Duck, you just need to stall her and keep her away while we prepare. Percy's going to set up a small dessert for her. Don't eat it."

"I won't..!" Percy whined. "I'm responsible too, Thomas!"

"..That's your plan?"

"You got anything better, Duck?"

"No."

"Good, now hurry! She's at the docks helping the workers unload cargo from ships."

  With that, Operation: Red Disasters was a go.

"Christ, what's all in these crates?!" Maddy groaned.

"Engine parts for the Steamworks." a workman stated. "They don't grow on trees you know."

"..Gerald, I'll punch that smirk off your face."

  Maddy took a break from unloading boxes, stretching out her back, when she heard a whistle.

"Hey, Duck. What brings you to the docks?"

"Err..Sir Topham Hatt needs you to deliver a line of trucks to Vicarstown. They're at Suddery as of now. Think you have the time?"

"..He couldn't tell me himself?"

"The controller is a very busy man, Maddy."

"Fair enough..fair enough..I only volunteered to help here anyway. They'll do fine without me. Can I hitch a ride?"

"My cab will be pretty cramped.."

"Psh-"

   Duck was in awe as she climbed on top of him, resting on his water tanks.

"Won't you fall off?!"

"No. Besides, I can't sit near your buffers, your shape doesn't allow it. Now full steam ahead, Ducky!"

  The Great Westerner grumbled as he took her to Suddery. After a while, he decided to ask a question.

"..Why do you call me Ducky?"

"I give everyone stupid nicknames. It annoys them and I find them cute. For instance, I call Thomas Tommy, and James gets Jamesy and Jimbo. He hates Jimbo, which only fuels my need to use it."

"Jimbo?!" he chuckled. "What a ridiculous name..! ....Can I use it?"

"Yeah-"

"Do you have any nicknames, Maddy?"