Munitions

Long before coming to Sodor, Travis, the Class 40 diesel engine used to work in a munitions factory on the Mainland. It wasn't the best job out there, but it kept Travis content and happy with himself. 

"They really need to fix these rails.." he muttered to himself, trying his best to maneuver his cargo around the cramped yard. "My wheels are not made for this nonsense.."

"Chin up, old dog." a disgustingly yellow diesel  oiled. "You've been here how long, and now you have problems?"

"Can it, D."

"Don't speak to me like that, Black Fish." he snapped. "You know better than that."

"You're not as big and scary as you think you are, Ten." Travis grumbled, still struggling to get his cars into place. "You and that claw don't scare me."

"Ugh.." he scoffed. "Whatever. You just keep living in your own fantasy."

   He rolled off to do whatever he needed to do, or maybe things he didn't need to be doing. Not that Travis cared, D10 wasn't his problem, he never was. As much as he tried, Travis never let him get under his skin. He's come close a few times, but nothing ever came of it.

   He whistled to himself, in his own world as he got his job done, oblivious to the yard around him. Travis wondered what was next after this j-

HONK.

"WHAT THE-" he yelped, bumping into his cargo, making a lot of crashing noise. "Who's there?!"

"Did I startle you?" a voice called, giggling. "Sorry! I was looking for a Travis."

"I'm right here, in the flesh and oil. Now who are you?"

"My name is Amelia. This is the [Redacted] Munitions Factory, correct?" the smaller diesel asked.

"Still is, far as I know." Travis answered. "You new?"

"Yup! I was told I was to be working at this factory! I'm so excited!"

"Mm..it's a fine job, but you must be wary." he frowned slightly. "We deal with a lot of dangerous material, so you need to be extremely careful, okay?"

"No need to worry about me! I've had to shunt a bunch of explosives before." she huffed.

"If you've done it before, then why aren't you there?"

"......they went out of business-" Amelia muttered. "And so I'm here!"

"Interesting..well, come along Amelia. I'll show you where to get started." he said to her with a smile.

"Well well..." the clawed diesel rolled up near the tracks where the two were trying to work. "What's this here? Fresh metal?"

"Piss off, D. You know you have things to do. Leave us be."

"Am I not allowed to make my introduction?" he innocently asked, though Travis saw right through it.

"No. Go away."

"I like meeting new engines, Travis!" the 02 shunter pouted, turning her attention to the ugly yellow diesel. "I'm Amelia, who are you?"