Daffodils and Pine Trees

More than 14 months had passed since that party, and not many things had happened. Ten was still slowly earning the trust of the steam engines around him, and James' feeling still stood conflicted as to how he felt about Bonnie. Though, now, in the present, something, in fact, was happening.

   The Big Boy-esque engine and the D15 were complete and very nearly ready to be put into steam, and it had everyone excited. Even Bonnie, who, without Nate [aside from his occasional visits, but he could never stay long enough to help], was the only relief engine on the island, which meant she, on some days would be pushed to her limits, and, in turn, that pushed her attitude to be more sour. She was just happy there'd be more engines to help.

"Are you sure you don't want to meet them, anwyl?" Duck asked her as she was touching up her face. "I'm sure they'd like to meet you.."

"I'm good, Waddles." Bonnie mumbled. "Thank you for asking, but even if I wanted to, I need to get my butt hauled over to Crovan's Gate. Peter Sam is going to be waiting for me."

"..And??" he questioned. He knew Bonnie better than that. "You're going to pass right by the Steamworks when you meet Peter Sam."

"...I just don't want to go-"

"That's..fair." the Pannier laughed. "I'll respect it."

"Besides, Alfred might be there and I'd like to not be in the same place."

"Also fair. I'll see you later then, anwyl."

   Duck peeped a friendly whistle goodbye, and left Bonnie alone. She sat back in her chair, rubbing her temples. Being the only relief engine around was certainly taking its toll on her and there wasn't much she could do about it.

   Alfred was being his usual, snooty, entitled self, puffing around mindlessly, looking for something to do or someone to talk down to. There wasn't any sort of luck, as anyone who passed by quickly sped up away from him, much to his dismay. 

   That all changed though when he rolled up on an empty Tidmouth Sheds. No one appeared to be there, not even James. He had heard through the grapevine what he was going through and what exactly that entailed for him. Smirking, Alfred decided that he was entitled to snooping through the living quarters of Tidmouth's residents. 

   Quietly stepping off the track, a tall, yet skinny man swiftly made his way to the back of the sheds. Nothing much piqued his interest, which only annoyed him more.

"Boring, boring engines.." he whispered to himself. "Untidy engines, too...despicable.."

   As he kept snooping and finding nothing, the vile mistake sent down from the heavens came across a family portrait of Henry, his current partner Edward, and what Alfred could only assume was their deceased daughter. 

   Picking up the framed photo, he eyed the girl in the middle closely. She was human, so what business did Henry have in adopting someone like that? They as engines would certainly outlive her, unless..

"So this is...or was...your precious Fifteen.." he hissed to himself. "The power of a steam locomotive, all compressed into such a small stature. 

   She was happy in the photo, and judging by the ring present on her finger at the time, she was married, and he had a pretty guess as to who it was.