Seize the Day

The time was here. Every engine was having the finishing touches put on them for the show. Percy was freshly washed, shiny and clean. Gordon was completely streamlined to optimize his speed in the race, and Henry had been checked over three separate times to make sure he was in tip-top shape for his strength assessment. That left James, who was basking in the adoration for his ornate paintjob, delicate and detailed gold paintings spread all across him, from smokebox to tender. All of them were ready. All except for one. 

"It's the day before the show, woman! What are you DOING!?" James demanded.

"Didn't the fat man tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"Then he didn't." she grunted, leaning against his buffer. "I leave for the Mainland in a few hours. Nathan's escorting me to Vicarstown, then a Mainland engine will come by and pick me up."

"You're going to be on the Mainland..? All by yourself??"

"Well, no. Juliette is coming. Sir Topham Hatt thought it would be best to send me there the day before, instead of trying to transport me in full uniform. I've got an overnight bag packed and everything."

"I don't know about this, Bee.."

"You worry too much, James." she hummed, patting his bufferbeam. "I'll be fine. You'll see me in the morning anyway. All ready to go and woo the crowd."

"At least let me see you off." James pouted. "Before they whisk you off to the Mainland."

"Of course..! But only if you're free. If you're off doing something, then that's your loss."

"But-"

"If I text you, will you feel better?"

"Maybe.."

"Then I'll be sure to keep in contact, Jamesy. Oh, you poor baby.." she cooed, reaching up to pat his cheek. "You'll be all awone..!"

"Don't you patronize me." James snapped.

"I know how you are when you don't know where I am. I feel how much you worry, and I beg you to stop doing it so much. It's giving me heartburn."

"I could say the same then when you're angry. You broke me down!"

"I did?"

"Yes! You held in every ounce of anger toward Daisy, and I started spewing black smoke! I felt awful!"

"Oopsie." Maddy looked away. "Listen, she was getting on my nerves and I just wanted to-"

"We all know how Daisy's like.." Gordon sighed. "Even I know putting you two in the same space is not a good idea."

"I'd rather you let it out than keep it in, Honey Bee.." James mumbled. "It hurts way less than when it's bottled in like that."

"I can..try." Maddy slowly nodded. "Sorry about that.."

"Hey, you didn't know, and frankly, I didn't either until it felt like my boiler was collapsing in on itself."

"Yeeeah..still. Sorry."

"I know..hey, how IS Nathan, anyway?"

"Haven't talked to him since I busted the turntable with him." she frowned, picking at her nails. "And I'm STILL finding his paint under my fingernails. Either it's bad luck or I scared the shit out of him for a while."

"Who knew you could be so scary?" Thomas giggled. "You're like a little cat."

"Says the one who isn't going to the show."

"You shut up! You- You!"

"Go on. Finish your sentence.." she smiled sweetly. "I'm sure Emily would get a kick out of seeing you flipped on your cab."