Life Sucks

Edward was right, Maddy spent the entirety of New Year in bed and the day after that...and the day after that. Not one time was she caught awake. As much as James wished to stay by her side to protect and profusely apologize to her, it simply wasn't possible, there was too much to be done. However, he and his friends could periodically check on her when they had the time. The one who most often checked up on her wasn't James, but Percy. James wasn't happy about it, but it was only a sheer coincidence.

"I don't think she's doing too well..." he peeped, looking back at his crew.

"Well, what makes you say that Percy?" his driver asked.

"None of us have seen her awake! Is she dead!?"

"Percy! I'm sure that's not the case! See, I'll show you."

   Percy's driver hopped out of his cab and approached the sleeping girl. Carefully pulling back her bedsheets, he showed Percy that she was breathing just fine.

"See?"

"Oh..alright.." Percy pouted.

   With a chuckle, his driver put her covers back on and went to feel her forehead. Strange, it was still as hot as it was when James brought her back home.

"..That's not good."

"Ah..?" the little caterpillar whimpered, "What's going on?"

"I think she's running a fever. Maddy's on fire!"

"...Oh."

   Percy frowned. Great, she was sick. However, Percy and several others that Maddy was acquainted with had no idea/didn't remember just how seriously sick she could get. As she'd stated before, she wouldn't die, but she wish she would.

"I'll have to stop by and pick up a thermometer just to be sure.." he muttered. "C'mon Percy, let's go."

   With a heaving sigh, Percy backed out of the sheds as soon as his driver was onboard. He didn't want to be the one to tell everyone else that she was sick. Unfortunately, he knew he'd have to spread the news that she'd fallen ill. Too bad he didn't know just how bad it would get.

   Later on, Percy was filling up on water when Henry passed with his snowplow. The big engine noticed the sullen expression on the little green engine's face.

"Percy? What's the matter? You look so glum!"

"Well..." Percy sighed, "I went to go check on her, as you do, and my driver said she's running a fever.."

"Oh my, that's not good...does Edward know?"

"You're the first engine I've been able to tell..." he huffed, "She still hasn't woken up.."

"Hm, well, I'll spread the news..poor Maddy.." Henry frowned. "Do you want James to know?"

"James may have been a total jerk to her but he still deserves to know something's wrong."

"Fair enough.." he chuckled, "I'll see you later, Percy."

   They gave each other a goodbye whistle, and Henry was off to do his duties. Low and behold, the first engine he ran into was the red assface himself.

"Henry? You look more sad than usual."

"Haha, very funny James." Henry huffed, rolled his eyes. "I guess I won't tell you, then."

"Tell me what?"

"Nope, you lost that opportunity."

"Henryyyy!"