Trust Me

It had been a few days since the trees decided to speak to Maddy. She was so unsettled by it that in order for her to work by herself, Maddy carried a pocket knife with her at all times. Edward and Henry weren't too keen on this idea, as the thought of her tripping and impaling herself rang in their smokeboxes. 

"Do you really need to have that with you..?"

"If the fat man wants me to work by myself, then yes." she huffed. "I absolutely need this knife."

"But it looks awfully sharp.."

"Hen. I am not taking any chances. If you don't want to believe me when I say something is still out there, then don't. I keep the knife."

"But there's really nothing out here!" the green engine frowned. "The only one who was is gone..we got rid of him.."

"That you know of."

"You mustn't be so paranoid, dear.."

"Then trust me! Is it really that hard?" Maddy spoke, a look of hurt in her eyes. Fine, if her friends weren't going to believe her, then she was on her own.

"Maddy-!"

"I'll see you tonight, Henry."

   With that, Maddy pulled up her hood and skated off to wherever she was needed.

"Oh, dear.."

"James! There you are! I've wanted to talk to you!" spoke Thomas, who was puffing up to the red engine's side.

"Talk about...what?"

"I think you know what."

   James pondered on the thought for a moment. Nope, he still had no idea what the blue tank engine was talking about.

"Maddy."

"Oh! What about her?"

"I think she's finally lost her mind."

"Who's to say she- Wait..that's mean." he sighed.

"I haven't seen her as skittish as that since we came here together. She thinks something is still after her."

"How? The only one after her has been kicked off the island. We made sure of it...right?"

"Totally! The Scottish Twins really let him have it, James." Thomas hummed. "But she's still adamant that someone or something is still following her. Have you seen the knife she carries around now?"

"Not really.."

"How? She hangs out with you all the time!"

"Not lately. Every time we pass by each other she sort of gives me this...look."

"Oh?" the little blue engine puffed. "What kind of look?"

"It's like..a grimace. Like she's mad at me. Won't even come with me on my jobs."

"Mhm..?"

"Now that I'm talking about it..we haven't spoken since she claimed the trees were talking."

"I think she's been ignoring you."

"What did I do!?"

"That's not for me to answer, James. You'll have to ask her yourself...if you can pin her down."