The Lady in Waiting

James was..creepily enough, happily vibing in the hospital's waiting room along with Gordon. Gordon was just there in case James had a total breakdown. He had no idea why James was so positive. Maybe he forced himself to think that she would make it out okay.

"..What...are you going to do if she doesn't make it?"

"She will. She's tough." he smiled. "Maddy always makes it out okay."

"But what if...bear with me...she doesn't this time."

"That won't happen."

"James, you're in denial."

"Denial about what?"

   The large man sighed.

"I overhead doctors talking about her. They say she might be in critical condition..."

"...And?"

"She seriously might not survive, James."

"..Gordon."

"...Yes?"

   James grabbed him by the tie and yanked him down.

"Shut your god damn fucking mouth. I didn't want to think about it, asshole. Say anything about that again and I'll break your legs."

"...okay-" he squeaked. He'd never been afraid of James before. This was new..sorta. Still his temper, but portrayed with violence.

"...Is there a James in here?" a doctor asked. James shot right up.

"That's me!"

"Come with me."

   James skipped, yes skipped, over to the doctor.

"How is she?"

"She's alive, sir."

   His heart immediately dropped into his stomach.

"It's a miracle she's even alive. She's extremely skinny for her size and very malnourished. We had to re-break her arm to get it in a cast to heal properly. Those marks on her body required several stitches, and while she was under, we lost her for a few moments. So, tell me, sir, what on earth even happened? Do we need the police involved?"

"The police didn't help when she first went missing, so why bother now? Besides...we already took care of it." he spat.

"..I'm sorry?"

"That's Maddy. She went missing about seven months ago."

"..As in the superhuman girl?"

"No, the old lady in the cottage- Yes the superhuman girl!!"

"...They did try. They couldn't find her."

"Clearly not."

"Haven't you heard though, she was all over the news!!"

"I'm sorry, but I spent my days in the sheds crying everyday. I didn't watch the news. Why would I? I was there firsthand when she was kidnapped. I knew what happened."

"....Then why didn't you try?"

"I was under the assumption that she was doomed from the start. She was taken by Diesel 10. Even with her abilities, he could so easily just rip her apart. I really thought she was just dead."

"..Understandable, sir..now, come on..I'm uh...sure you want to see her."

"Of course I do. My Honey Bee means everything to me...mostly."

"Vain as usual, James.." the doctor chuckled, leading him into her room.

"Careful, though, she's..err..very fragile."