C'est La Vie

"Oooh, my favorite is dead.." whined a woman.

   High atop the mountains of Sodor, there were a select few who kept an eye on everything that happened on the island, hidden away from humanity for centuries.

"You say that with every engine that gets scrapped, Lady." another grumbled.

"Not many choose to...scrap, err, in this case, intentionally get themselves killed, Lord." she pouted. "Oh, the poor dear.."

"Get over it." Lord spoke. "She was insane. I think it's better that she's gone."

"How can you say such a thing..!?" Lady gasped. "She was perfect..! Almost.."

"Bah."

"Lady's right, you know." a blind engine hummed. "From what she's told me, the woman was a spectacular show. Just...lacked any sort of help.."

"I don't think you know the entire story, Proteus."

"It's a little hard to know everything when you can't exactly see."

"Either way. She was cheekier than any engine I've ever witnessed. Immature, that one, always talking smack about someone or something without any remorse. He actions always went unpunished."

"I don't think they did, Lord." Lady hummed quietly. "While she wasn't exactly fired...as that Fat Controller would put it, she...sort of punished herself."

"Good."

"LORD!" she shrieked, smacking the purple LNER J15 squarely in the smokebox. "Have you no shame!?"

"She's not an engine, so she's out of my realm of caring. and she should be out of yours, too."

"May I remind you that she always most of whatever she was told, and was never late if she could help it. So she was always brash and crude, but she always got her job done. Isn't that all that matters!?"

"She's right, Lord."

"Be quiet, Proteus."

"So she wasn't perfect in the personality department. That's not something I can control. I didn't make her. Actually, there's nothing I could've with her aside from trying to talk to her!"

"Oh, so if you can do that, maybe you should go ahead and go do that."

"I can't talk to dead human spirits. Only engine spirits. You know this."

"So is the island just supposed to drown? Have you seen the problems she's still causing, even though she's DEAD!?" Lord bellowed, almost at his wits end with Lady's shit.

"She's hurting..! Haven't you been paying attention at all!? Plus, as much as I want it to stop, there's nothing I can do.."

"Then get Stanley to do it. He can talk to whoever he wants."

"Stanley's busy cleaning a mess on the Skarloey Railway."

"Then what else is there, Lady? Our home is drowning because of a vengeful, vile spirit who won't rest."

"I..hm..."

"Well?"

"I might not be able to control what she does...but.."

"But? Out with it. I don't have all day."

"Maybe I can control where she ends up...and.."

"LADY. QUIT TRAILING OFF."

"She hangs around someone I can talk to. Maybe he'll relay a message to her...if he's willing to listen.."

"Who, Timothy?"