M. Fushiguro - Night Rolling

(If you can't skateboard, you can now.)

The sun sat just above the bushes lining the road you were currently rolling down, casting a shadow on your skateboard and illuminating the outline of your body onto the pavement. You were happy to breathe in some spring air, the winter felt like a century.

But finally, the weather was nice enough to skateboard again. It wasn't your life, but more of a hobby that calmed you down.

You watched the road in front of you, squinting whenever a car passed with its headlights on. The road you were cruising down was almost completely deserted, moving downhill at a comfortable pace. Even through the earbuds pressed firmly in your ears, you can hear the wheels of your board hit against loose rocks.

You'd turn up the music, but it's not good to lose one of your senses while you're alone like this. Or whatever parental bullshit (valid reasoning) that was drilled into you since you were a child. The music being lower helped you concentrate though, so it wasn't all bad.

Moving your weight to the side, you prepare to make a soft turn to avoid flinging yourself into one of the surrounding fields.

This place took you forever to find. Old and unruly bushes lined the path before opening up into a stretch of open land. In the summer, farmers would grow corn.

You weren't there to enjoy the scenery though, you were there to skateboard. And right now, you were hoping to not fuck up this turn and eat pavement.

Taking a deep breath, you approach the crest of the turn.

Wait, hold on. Is that a person laying in the road?

As you get closer, the blob shapes itself into a boy around your age, clearly lying peacefully in the street. Peace that was definitely not going to last long considering how close you are to him.

"Shit." You say quietly, bending your knees and pulling the board up with your feet, jumping over the boy. After landing dangerously close to him, you wobbly hop off the board and walk back over to him.

You lean over him to see that his eyes are wide open, but that he still hasn't moved.

You kick him in the ribs lightly, your foot thudding softly against his shirt.

"Hey. Are you fucking dead or something?" You say curiously.

Finally, he moves his pupils to look at you, opening his mouth and trying to work out a sentence.

"I-Who are you?" He says squinting.

"Okay, personally, I think I have the right to first question. Considering you're the one lying lifeless in the middle of the road."

"Barely anyone comes down here."

You look at him incredulously, "Well I did, and I almost just mangled your guts. Why are you lying here anyway?"

"I fell."

You stare,

"You fell."

He sits up, rubbing the back of his head. His hair was messy and dark, it's almost hard to tell if the unkempt strands are meant to look like that.

"Have you seen a skateboard around here?" He asks, looking around him. You look around as well, but still notice when his eyes land on your board that you're carrying in your hand.

The boy's eyes widen and he pushes himself to his feet, flinching slightly in the process.

"You okay?" You ask, placing the skateboard back under your foot. If he wasn't going to say anything else, you were just going to leave.