T. Inumaki - Working For Reassurance

(Spring break is over so uploads might (will) slow down, but those are all my drafts with ideas connected. Praying for the motivation to do them.)
(Not real life AU but you go to actual school.)

"Salmon cod roe." You feel a couple taps on your back, and you tilt your head to see Inumaki leaning over the back of your chair. His face is unamused.

"What do you want?" You say.

He doesn't reply, just keeps poking your back like an annoying little bitch. At least he's cute.

"Toge. I'm trying to focus. Be patient."

Glaring, he swivels your chair to that you're facing him, and plops himself in your lap.

"You're not a dog." You laugh, putting your arms around him and turning back to face your desk.

Recently you've had catastrophic amounts of homework pouring down on you, and to be honest, there was barely anything in this world that will get you to submit them. Despite that, you decided to cram them all into one night to show your resilience. What a dumb fucking idea.

Inumaki is definitely against it, since it seems that he is feeling extra clingy today. Usually he minds his own business, but now it seems like he wants to be touching you at every waking moment. Not easy for you when you need to type and move around the desk.

Nevertheless, you can't deny him, and now he's basically clinging to you like a small child. His hands wrapped around your neck and body curled in your lap. He's heavier then expected, but you try not to show it on your face.

You continue working, and you can tell that he's still itching for your undivided attention.

"Man, just give it a rest."

"Bonito flakes."

Sighing, you look down as he presses his face into your collarbone. It's not long after that you feel his body quiver somewhat. You look down, noticing that he's seem to lose some of his spunk from earlier.

"Toge?" You ask slowly, putting your hand on the back of his head.

He doesn't move.

"Hey... Dude, are you okay?"

When he still doesn't move, you swivel around in your chair to face your bed, rolling forward until you're able to push him off your lap and into the mattress. He's still clinging to you, so you end up squating in front of him.

"You better not be pranking me right now, I'm kinda freaking out-"

You hear a light sniffle, followed by a sob.

He's crying.

You can't remember the last time he's cried in front of you, maybe it's never happened before. No matter what, it struck you with worry. It's not like it's easy to ask why.

Instead of saying anything, you just sit next to him and hold him in your arms. It's not like he's small by any means, but he still fits together with you seamlessly. You feel like you can support every part of his body without needing to try hard.

However, he still won't lift up his face.

"Can you lay your head in my lap?" You ask softly, trying to comfortably urge him to cooperate. You have no idea what to do in this situation.

He complies, finally pulling away from you shoulder and resting with the back of his head in your lap, body curled up next to you.

Inumaki's face was pale, with red rings surrounding his eyes and patches on his cheeks and nose. Small tears were still falling from his eyes, and he sniffed here and there. He wouldn't make eye contact, though it's not like you wouldn't do the same.

Reaching out, you splay your hand on his cheek, fingers lightly brushing his hair.

"I'm sorry." He says.

"None of that now. You don't have to make yourself talk just to apologize for something that isn't even a problem."

He sets his lips in a firm line, obviously upset over his lack of vocabulary. Yes he could say things like that, but he was constantly scared of backlash.

"How about you use my notes app." You pull out your phone and hand it to him. "Then you can just write it out."

Nodding, he grabs your phone and presses the icon with shaky fingers.

He writes quickly, and then turns the phone to you.

'I wish I could talk to you normally.' It reads.

"I know you do."

He turns it back to himself, eyebrows furrowing as he writes more.

'Would you stay for me longer if I could?'

"Well, I'm already staying with you for as long as you'll let me. I don't think that would change anything."

'It's not even just that, I have nothing to give you. I don't usually think about it, but I'm not tall, I'm not protective, and I barely show that I care about you. I can't even say anything to you. I try to compromise by listening, by giving you my time, but sometimes I'm scared it won't be enough. I trust you, and I'm always nonchalant about this, but I guess it's been on my mind recently.'

"Christ, that's like an essay." He glares at you. Well at least he's looking at you now. "Toge, none of that shit really even matters to me. If anything, I prefer the person you just described as yourself more then anything else."

He doesn't seem to believe you, so you carry on.

"I don't need words to cheer me up. To be honest, I like the quiet more then having to hear another person's voice all the fucking time. Even besides that, do you really think I care about your height? If you're protective? I haven't even thought about it. When you hold my hand and let me know you're there I never feel more safe and cared for."

Sniffling again, Inumaki hurridly types more.

'Even if I say that you're horrible at Mario Kart?'

"That would make you a lying scum." You frown. "That's mean you know."

He smiles brightly, and you wipe his tears with the pad of your thumb. You know that he didn't suddenly get happy, but you're happy to reassure him in the moment. Whatever he needs, you'll be there to provide him with.

"Now come lay down, I'm done with school for today."

Snorting, he falls back, opening his arms and allowing you to crawl in besides him. You just hold eachother, basking in the comfortable silence.

Of course the speaking situation is a hassle, but you'll never let it chip away you're adoration for Inumaki. It's what makes him truly him, and you wouldn't want to change that. You wouldn't know how to interact with him if he could suddenly talk all the time.

Whatever the case, holding and reassuring him is way better then doing homework. Even though they both come with tears.

(Notice how all my chapters are the same? That's my vivid creativity coming through. I know, I'm a legend practically.)
(I couldn't sleep last night because I kept vividly imagining myself getting shot in the chest and I was freaked the fuck out? I was like "Yo, don't open your eyes or you're a goner".)