T. Fushiguro - To Make You Feel

(Not mafia, but big gun (slightly illegal) operations AU.)

The shine of your shoes, you've come to accept, is the most interesting thing you've viewed all day.

Not the meeting of upwards of eighty people, not the grandiose room you're currently positioned in, not even the couple arguing like children in the opposite corner. Though they did have a quite amusing conversation consisting entirely of brutally criticizing eachothers dresses.

No, your shoes take the cake. The plain black shoes that just so happen to be as far away from people as physically possible. And by association, you are too.

There's no particular reason why your aversion of socializing is so strong today. It just so happens that if a person so much as glances in your general direction you feel as if your skin is being melted off. No worries though, of course, you're here on business. You have to smile and give your greetings like any other person would.

Your conclusion: Fuck Toji for assigning you as his date for this occasion. Also, fuck him for leaving you on your lonesome to fend against the piranhas.

Speak of the devil, a familiar pair of shoes step into your field of view, just as shiny as yours, and you roll your eyes before even looking up.

"How was your independent escapade?" You ask.

"Helpful. I know where our shit is. These people are fuckin' idiots."

You almost ask what the point of you being there is, if that's the case, but you change your mind and decide to keep your mouth shut.

"Alright what is it?" He says, raising a brow and crossing his arms. You just hum. "C'mon sweetheart, you haven't moved all night."

"Oh my bad, let me walk in circles instead, I love circles," You state, walking around him once before resting yourself back in your corner. "Is that better for you?"

"Okay, not very pleasant today, are we?"

"No one really worthy of receiving pleasantries."

"Touché," He steps up to your side, pivoting on his heel to face the crowd along side you. After placing his hand on the small of your back, he gestures forward with the other, "Let's get out of here before anyone decides to change their mind and give us a hard time."

You peel his hand off your back, lacing your arms together instead, and tug him forward into the bulk of the crowd. It doesn't take too long to get to the front of the building, no one really wanting to exchange niceties now that business has been officiated.

The car you arrived in has already pulled up to the front, and Toji steps forward to pull the door open for you, sliding in after you've moved across the seats. He shuts the door behind him, nodding to the driver before closing the black opaque divider seperating the front from the back.

The ride is quiet, you looking out the window and fiddling with your fingers as Toji types away on his phone. The city is alight with neon signs and blink and you'll miss it car lights, all swirling together like some intricate dance that your mind normally navigates with ease. But tonight, there's something that feels wrong.

Something with you that feels wrong.

You can't place the feeling, your heart just sits heavy in your chest, and your thoughts paw desperately against your head. It's like, everything is happening all at once but at the same time your face is conspicuously absent of generating any emotion. To smile, is to lift your heavy lips that can barely feel the action. To listen, is to silence the yelling in your head.

Imagine trying to navigate a formal, and uptight, party with a body so willing to be uncooperative. It's like being high while talking to a parent. You're not really aware of what you're doing, and it's a bit of a struggle, but you have to be normal. You have to act like everything is as it always is.