Chapter 61: DIVIDE

*20 YEARS AGO (before the events of DMC5)*

The volume first begins in a flashback of years ago, with a white haired woman in a black dress as she was in a bed screaming. It then showed she was in labor as she had doctors around her trying to help. After a bit, the screaming stops as a baby's cry was heard. The camera then pans to show a red amulet as the glow changes to show Salem's dark eyes as she sat on her throne.

*PRESENT DAY*

On her throne, Salem's forces were arriving to Atlas's boarders.

Salem's Thoughts: I lost you both that day. Since then, I felt nothing but hatred towards the world again. But now... one way or another, you will be mine again, Dean and Vali.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the footsteps of two of her servants, Cinder and Neo. Neo stops and stares with her mouth slightly open, before walking forward to stand beside Cinder. She watches as Cinder kneels and places her right hand to her chest.

Cinder: my queen.

Salem: (stands and faces her) Cinder. (Walks down) when I chose you as my vessel for the Maidens, I put my trust in you. So, I trust that you wouldn't possibly return to me empty-handed.

Cinder: (holds relic out) the Relic of Knowledge. I took it right from under Ironwood's nose.

Upon hearing this, Neo blinks her eyes rapidly in disbelief and looks at Cinder with an indignant expression. She then crosses her arms and glares.

???: come on, Ms. Fall. We all know that's a lie.

Surprised by the voice, they look to see Kira walking out from the shadows.

Kira: because if I recall correctly, you lost badly to Pinocchio and got outsmarted again by children. I highly doubt that you could pull of a shred of competence after that.

Cinder: and according to radio chatter, that same general and his forces outsmarted you. A shame Watts never made it back.

Kira: who said I was outsmarted? Besides, the doctor was a necessary sacrifice. (Gestures to Neo) just as she and you are.

Neo glares at Kira and lowers her arms with her fists clenched. Cinder turns to look at Salem, who adopts a look of suspicious curiosity as she speaks.

Salem: who is she?

Cinder: Neopolitan has some very useful abilities and has proven to be a valuable asset.

Neo looks somewhat upset by Cinder's use of the word "asset".

Salem: hm, you certainly do enjoy collecting assets.

Cinder: if I may ask, mistress, where is Lord Mundus?

Salem: he's in the middle of important business.

The squelching noise of the nearby membrane door catches Neo's attention, and she turns to see Emerald, Mercury, and Hazel entering the room. Upon laying eyes on Cinder, Emerald smiles.

Emerald: Cinder. (Runs over to her) you're here! I knew you'd co--

Cinder: quiet.

Emerald stops with a hurt expression on her face, glancing at Kira who clicks his tongue in disappointment.

Kira: so devoted to someone so incompetent. While the good doctor and I were advancing for our boss, dismembering the very body of this kingdom... you were merely atoning for past failures. (Growls) almost reminds me of a blonde bimbo I knew.

Cinder: (glares at him) Polendina's creation interfered with the transfer of the Winter Maiden power... but now I know she has it. And once I return to Atlas, it won't take long to finish what I started. That power will be mine.