Chapter 70: ULTIMATUM

The scene shows Ironwood overlooking the City of Atlas from his office. Manta airships fly by. Someone is heard clearing their throat.

Atlas Commander: sir, we have confirmation that Doctor Watts has escaped military headquarters with the assistance of Cinder Fall. We do have Jacques Schnee in custody--

Ironwood: I don't give a damn about Jacques Schnee. What about the other two?

The pair of Atlas officers stand at attention with nervous looks on their faces. Sweat drips down the side of the commander's face as she addresses the remaining prisoners statuses.

Atlas Commander: sir, Branwen and Hill have... evaded capture.

Upon hearing those words, Ironwood angrily slams his left fist on his desk.

Ironwood: damn it! (Huffs angrily before composing himself) search everywhere for them. Do not return to this office until you have Qrow Branwen in custody.

Atlas Commander: of course, sir.

The pair of officers salute before leaving. Ironwood turns around to look outside the large window again.

Ironwood's Thoughts: everything's going wrong. I never wanted any of this. All I wanted was to help this kingdom and its people. But so far, I've been met with resistance. Maybe... maybe I should reconsider helping Ruby—

???: what are you doing? If you abandoned your mission now, they'll turn their back on you and put everyone in more danger. You know what you need to do. Get the Maiden, save Atlas, and should it come to it, kill those who resist.

The voice was soon gone, and Ironwood sighs as he tries to collect himself. He then brings his fingers up to his ear to talk into his comlink.

Ironwood: what's the status of our--

Suddenly, a series of bright flashes occur outside his window, before a massive explosion is seen engulfing Monstra. The explosion shines so bright as the light is seen engulfing Ironwood's office.

Down on the battlefield, Winter leads the charge as the Ace Ops carry the bomb that was to blow up Monstra, before they are knocked back from the explosion.

At the Schnee Manor, Weiss enters her room carrying a plate of bread, soup and a drink, but she drops it in shock upon seeing the bright explosion occurring outside her window. Nora Valkyrie and Klein Sieben also watch the explosion from the bedside.

The explosion further reaches into the City of Atlas, knocking back and obliterating some Lancers. The entire scene is engulfed in a bright light.

In the explosion's aftermath, Monstra is seen starting to dissipate. The morning sun shines through the particles of the slain Grimm. Through the dust, Neopolitan can be seen happily skipping away from the Grimm with the Relic of Knowledge in her possession.

Elsewhere, Winter gets up to witness the quiet battlefield.

Winter: is everyone all right?

Vine: no injuries here.

Elm: what?!

Marrow: they... They were still inside.

Ironwood: (over comms) target destroyed. Good work. But no time to celebrate. Return to the Academy at once. We've got a new problem.

Marrow: but... that wasn't us.

Winter: then we can tell him in person. Load it back up, we're leaving.

*MEANWHILE*

On the roof of a skyscraper in Atlas, Cinder and Watts stare at the disintegrating carcass of Monstra.