Chapter 73: WORTHY

The scene picks up where we left off when showing the evacuation underway. Jaune and his group were going from portal to portal to make sure everyone went through, and everyone was walking along the pathways to the main portal. Soon, DVNT's group enters as well, and is amazed at the pocket dimension that was created.

Nikki: wow. I didn't think we'd be seeing this.

Karasu: (starry eyed) the pathways have flawless symmetry. It's simply beautiful.

Dean: you can drool about it later. Right now, let's help make sure everyone gets to the other side safely.

Weiss: I thought there'd be more people by now.

Vali: it's a long process. There should be more here soon.

Ruby: our job is getting Ember, Penny, and the Staff to Vacuo. Until then, we have to trust the others. I'm sure they can handle it.

Meanwhile, Ren, Emerald and Oscar are mere steps away from the Vacuo portal.

Oscar: we should end up just outside the city limits of Vacuo. Enough space for refugees but still within range of communication.

Ren: all right, I'll focus on masking emotions for as long as I can. Call for help as soon as we cross.

The three move through the portal, only to be brought to their knees by a whirling sandstorm. They shield their eyes as they get back up.

Emerald: you've gotta be kidding me.

Ren: which way is the city?

Oscar: it has to be here somewhere!

Emerald consults her Scroll.

Emerald: guys, the sandstorm isn't just killing visibility.

As she holds it up for the other two to see, the words NO SIGNAL are prominently displayed on its screen. The portal rumbles, and the first few citizens come through, wincing and groaning at the sudden harsh weather.

Citizen: where are we?

The three teens grimly turn to face the bewildered refugees.

Ren: welcome to Vacuo.

Back in the gateway, Nora is herding people across the pocket dimension.

Nora: head down and follow everyone else to the exit.

As she takes off on her hammer again, a cloaked figure steps into view, smirking ominously. Moments later, a huge explosion sends several citizens rocketing off their platform and into the void. May stares at them from a distant platform, horrified, as the crowd panics and scrambles behind her. Teams DVNT and RWBY, already almost reaching the Vacuo portal, hears the commotion, and Ruby heads back to deal with the disturbance.

Ruby: no!

Dean: you gotta be shitting me!

Blake stops to reassure a startled Penny before following the rest of her team to join their leader. Weiss does the same for Ember.

Weiss: it's alright, sweetie.

Blake: keep going, we'll handle this.

Penny is left clutching the Staff anxiously and Ember is left wondering what to do. Cinder propels herself into the air with her flames and spots the teams making their way up to a large platform. She quickly jets off in that direction. Ruby uses her Semblance to cover the distance quicker, only to recoil, grunting, at the wall of flames that suddenly appears to block her path. Both teams raise their weapons, ready to fight.

Nikki: guess they were right about Azula 2.0 being back.

Cinder: DVNT and RWBY. How nice to see you all again.