Chapter 72: CREATION

The scene begins with the Ops and "Ironwood" outside of Atlas Academy, waiting for Penny to arrive.

Ironwood: be ready for anything. We don't know what state Penny is in.

Harriet: if any of those brats have the nerve to come with her, we put them down immediately. The General gave his terms. No more games.

Vine sighs, while Elm looks uneasy.

Harriet: is there a problem?

Vine: just... retracing the steps that led us here.

Ironwood's Scroll beeps with a security alert.

Harriet: what is it, sir?

Ironwood: Qrow and Robyn. They're in the Academy hangar.

Vine: trying to stop the payload?

Ironwood: or just looking for a way out.

Harriet: Not going to happen. I've been waiting to take my shot at those two.

With a spread of her arms, she activates her Fast Knuckles.

Harriet: let's go, Ace Ops.

Elm: but...someone needs to stay here with the General.

Winter: I'll stay.

She enters from offscreen, coming to a stop beside Ironwood.

Winter: we lose the payload, we lose our leverage.

Ironwood: she's right. Contain it. Now.

Vine, Harriet, and Elm leave to deal with the fugitives. Winter's expression softens.

Winter: sir, this course of action--

Ironwood: I hope you're not going to try to talk me out of it.

Winter turns to look Ironwood in the eye, her demeanor shifting to a resolute one.

Winter: no, sir. I don't think that's possible. (Thoughts) something isn't right. I know the general's semblance has its flaws from time to time, but he's always managed to keep it under control. And, he'd rather die then put innocents in danger. That's who he is. Lately though, he's become someone else. And, I'm honestly scared of that.

With a whoosh, both are alerted to Penny's apparent approach, and they watch her touch down before them. Ironwood immediately levels his cannon at her. Its barrel glows a pale green as he charges it.

Ironwood: I didn't think you'd actually come alone.

He pauses to hand Winter a set of Gravity Bolas, then continues pointing his weapon at her.

Ironwood: I expected at least some resistance from your friends.

Penny: I don't want anyone else to die.

Winter steps forward, securing Penny's wrists with the bolas.

Penny: I must open the Vault.

Winter steps back, drawing her saber and pointing it at Penny. Ironwood takes a deep breath and lowers his cannon, then moves forward to place a hand on Penny's shoulder.

Ironwood: you've done the right thing.

Penny cocks an eyebrow, her voice suddenly deeper than usual.

Penny: I have.

The image of Penny flickers and is replaced with Emerald. In the background, Oscar, Jaune, Ren, Nora, the DMC crew, and the Witches appear, weapons at the ready and poised to fight. A Manta is parked behind them.