Chapter 31: ECHOES OF AN OLD LIFE

The scene opens up to show Yang sparing with her dad. Since she stared using her prosthetic, she's been getting back into the follow of fighting. Nearby, Zwei and Týra watch them with a stool with a couple of towels. The spar goes on until Yang hits him back.

Taiyang: whoa, that thing packs a punch!

Yang: we've been at this for weeks. I get it, you wanna make sure I can still fight. (bumping her own fists) I think I'm doing just fine.

Taiyang: you're close.

He stands upright, no longer nursing his arm. Walking around his daughter in a circle, he assesses her progress.

Yang: oh, really?

Taiyang: you're still off balance.

Yang: what?! No I'm not!

Týra: that's debatable

Taiyang: (chuckles)

Yang: honestly, I'm kind of surprised. (Looks at her arm with a smile) I thought it would be just this huge weight, but it feels... natural. They did a great job with this thing.

Taiyang then delivers a left hook into her face and they fight again. They keep going till Tai blocks an elbow thrust, and puts Yang in the position of having her balance rely on the weight of one leg.

Taiyang: I wasn't talking about your actual balance.

He sweeps her forward leg, sending her onto the ground on her back. He leaves her there and walks over to Zwei and Týra, who passes a towel for him.

Taiyang: although, that could use some work too.

Taiyang takes the towel and gives Zwei a rub on the top of his head. Zwei hums happily. Arms spread on the ground, Yang takes a breath before speaking.

Yang: meaning?

Taiyang: (toweling off his sweat) I saw your tournament fights. During the Vytal Festival.

Yang: let me guess. (in mocking accent) "I was sloppy."

Taiyang: no, no, you were predictable. And... stubborn. And... maybe a little boneheaded.

Yang sits up and spins to stare at her father.

Taiyang: do you realize that you used your Semblance to win every fight after the qualifiers?

Yang: (spinning to have her back to him) so what? How is me using my Semblance any different than someone else using theirs?

Týra: because everyone else's isn't a child having a temper tantrum. I even told you to have better control over it.

Yang: that's right. You... did.

Taiyang: (tosses towel and crouches beside Yang) she's not wrong. Once you take damage, you can dish it back twice as hard, but that doesn't make you invincible! It's great when you're in a bind, but what happens if you miss? What happens if they're stronger? What then? Now you're just weak and tired! You've always been one to burn brighter than everyone else, whether it was with your smile, or, well, I remember your first haircut.

He playfully tugs the hair on the back of her head. Smiling, Yang bats him away. He chuckles and gets up, walking away a few paces with Zwei just behind him. They even catch a moment of it, but Týra smiles a bit.

Taiyang: but you gotta keep your emotions in check. Keep a level head, and think before you act. Your Semblance is a great fallback, but you can't let yourself rely on it. It won't always save you. (Sadden tone) obviously. You definitely have your mom's stubbornness.