Chapter 39: TRUE COLORS

The scene shows Oscar, currently Ozpin, and Qrow seen sitting together with Jupiter.

Qrow: things aren't looking good, Oz.

Ozpin: ever the optimist. (Sips from his cup) while I would not say our current predicament is... ideal, I think we can both agree that the situation could be much worse. Humanity is a resilient force.

Qrow: Oz, pro Huntsmen like that don't just bite it all at once. Salem's powerful. It seems like her reach is growing by the day. What does that say about Humanity?

Ozpin: that there are indeed a misguided few who have filled their hearts with malice. It doesn't take a great number of people to cause harm, but I still believe there are far more people in this world willing to prevent it.

Jupiter: that may be. However, all it can take is a foolish act to bring one's downfall on either humanity or gods. I know it too well.

Ruby: (enters) um, excuse me?

Ozpin: ah, Miss Rose, join us. We were just about to gather everyone to discuss our next steps.

Ruby: oh, uh, great.

Qrow: something on your mind kiddo?

Ruby: uh... uh, it's... if it's okay to ask.

Qrow: of course.

Ruby: well, uh... we've been talking about the Relic at Haven... and the Spring Maiden, but... what about the Fall Maiden?

Ozpin: Cinder?

Ruby: does that mean... Salem has the Beacon Relic?

Ozpin: very astute, Miss Rose, I was wondering who would be the first to ask. No, thankfully she does not. It's true that the Relic at Haven is very much at risk, and for now, that should remain our primary focus. Let's just say I made finding the Relic at Beacon a... bit more challenging than at the other schools.

Ruby: oh. (Sighs in relief) that's good to hear.

Ozpin: it is, but let's not forget the challenges that still lie before us.

Ruby nods.

Ozpin: now is there anything else we can help you with?

Ruby: oh, uh... well, I did have one more question.

Ozpin: no, my cane is not a Relic.

Ruby: I have no more questions.

They all giggle.

Ozpin: yes, while this cane is indeed very precious to me, it is also just that - precious to me. While I admit it still has a few more tricks up its sleeve, I can firmly say that being a Relic isn't one of them. Now why don't you run and get the other students?

Suddenly, Qrow's scroll is heard vibrating. He takes it out from his pocket to see "LEO LIONHEART" calling. He takes the call.

Qrow: yeah? ... Okay... yeah, we'll be there. (Hangs up)

Ruby: who was it?

Qrow: (sighs while taking out his flask) it was Leo, says he had a breakthrough with the council. Thinks he might be able to get together a small raiding party for the bandits. He wants us to meet up at the school tomorrow night to walk us through it.

Ruby: (gasps and smiles) really? Oh that's great! I'll go get the others.

Ruby runs out of the room while Qrow takes a drink from his flask.

Jupiter: something's not right.

Ozpin: mmm, that sounds drastically different from your original conversation, does it not?