Chapter 32: NO SAVE HAVEN (Vol. 4 end)

The scene opens up at the village of Kuroyuri. The entire village was dilapidated and in complete ruin. Ruby, Jaune, and Nikki walked with Qrow to see if they could find medicine. They stop to look at the village, and unhappy.

Nikki: bloody hell.

Jaune: oh, man.

Ruby: come on. (Looks around) any of these places look like a pharmacy?

Nikki: I can't tell what was what with all this destruction.

Ruby: Ren really really didn't want to come here, did he? (Turns to Jaune) do you know... why?

Jaune: (sighs) I think I have a pretty good idea...

They set Qrow down and Nikki and Jaune look around to find something. After a couple minutes, both came back.

Ruby: anything?

Jaune: nothing.

Nikki: same here, love. It's all either picked off a long time ago, or destroyed along with the rest of this place.

They then hear a creature making a loud noise from off in the distance, causing the three to turn. Jaune's hand immediately goes to his sword and looks around for the source of the noise.

Ruby: it's far off.

Jaune: I know, but Ren and Nora are still out there.

Ruby looks at Qrow before standing and approaching them. Nikki sees Ruby's expression, and grows concerned.

Nikki: what's wrong, love?

Ruby: I'm sorry.

Jaune: huh?

Ruby: this is all my fault. I should have never dragged you guys into this.

Jaune: you didn't drag us in. We wanted to come.

Ruby: but you didn't know about Tyrian, about—

Nikki: Ruby, you can't take blame for something you had no control over. None of us knew what was going to happen that day.

Jaune: she's right. We lost... We lost Pyrrha. You lost her, too. And Penny, and your team, and your brother, and in a way... your sister. But you're still here, despite everything you've lost, everything you could still lose, you chose to come out here. Because you felt like you could make a difference.

She lifts her head and looks at him.

Jaune: you didn't drag us along. You gave us the courage to follow you.

He puts his hand on her shoulder. She smiles at him, grateful, and he smiles back.

Nikki: you've really grown, Jaune.

Jaune: well, I had good friends to help. (Turns to Nikki) and Nikki, I'm sorry about last night. You were right. I didn't stop to think how you were handling this.

Nikki: it's fine, love. I know this hasn't been easy for any of us. I think one of the worst parts about this was we didn't even get to say goodbye. (Looks out at the ridge) we were all played, and Salem turned us into their puppets. For the first time, my team and I had an actual lost. No one's ever beaten us like that before, and the aftermath was awful for all of us.

Ruby: about that... Do you really think Dean's gone? I know we haven't heard from him, but... Is there a chance he's alive?

Nikki: (looks at Ember) if he is, then he better come back soon.

*DARK LANDS*

In Salem's castle, Cinder was training hard to master her Fall Maiden powers. She keeps going until she falls to her knees and struggles to breath normally.