Chapter 20: LESSONS LEARNED

The scene opens up to the team heading down and helping up Coco and Yatsuhashi. They just had their two on two match with Emerald and Mercury, that resulted in the end match being they lost.

Dean: you guys okay?

Coco: we've been better.

Yatsuhashi: sorry we're not moving on to the finals, guys.

Dean: it's alright. We'll head on a mission together after this is done.

Nikki: (looks at Emerald and Mercury) that match was interesting.

Karasu: yes. And yet, something's not right. Didn't that fight seem rigged to you?

Nikki: now that you mentioned it, it truly did.

Karasu: my recommendation would be to look further into those three. They're up to something, and I want to know what it is.

Nikki: in the meantime, let's check the others.

While they brought the two back to their teammates, they were discussing on what they'll be doing next. Yang and Ruby would be catching up with Qrow, and even invited Dean along. Blake and Nikki were going on a date, and Týra was going to hang out with CFVY and Ember.

Velvet: Mimir, did you see tournaments like this?

Mimir: as a knowledge keeper, it was part of my career, lass. And believe me, I've seen more than many battles like this. Unlike here, however, many of them ended in blood with the kill or be killed rule.

Týra: did any of the Jötnar battle?

Mimir: not after the genocide of their people. However, Thor battled in plenty of matches and the humans had more than plenty of crazy idiots who attacked each other in many ways or form. And with their various ways of killing, trust me, none of you want to know.

With Weiss and Vali, they had met up with Winter in a garden area. Vali would often visit here to clear his mind and avoid the noise from the others. Weiss was then shocked to hear news from Winter.

Weiss: you're leaving?

Winter: (setting her cup down) yes. I was merely needed to oversee the transport of additional units to Vale. Our last shipment was lost to an ambush. I believe you had a run-in with its cargo, actually. It's fortunate those Paladins were in the prototype stage; otherwise your teams may not have fared so well.

Vali: those were nothing compared to the forces my team and I faced. And, despite what you might think, your sister is more than capable of fighting against machines.

Winter: (small smile) you have changed. I don't think I've ever heard you give comments like that. Your teammates must have an effect on you.

Vali: ...

Winter: (grabs Weiss's hand reassuringly) Weiss, you've done... well, out here, on your own. You should be proud. I'll be honest, it was quite amusing seeing Father's face the day you left for Beacon!

Weiss: (straightening up and smiling now, arms crossed) I can't wait to show him what I learned!

Winter: oh? Then what do you think you've learned?

Weiss: (not directly looking at her sister) what do you mean? I'm getting better and better with my glyphs! I've even started Time Dilation!

Winter: and what of your summoning?

Vali: summoning?

Winter: you haven't even told him?

Weiss: I... (sighs and looks away) you know I can't.