Chapter 67: WAR

The scene shows the city of Atlas under a massive invasion under the Grimm. People were immediately evacuating as they were running in panic into the underground subways. In a manta, Winter and the Aces had Dean, Týra, Yang, Jaune, and Ren cuffed with Gravity Bolas as they approach Atlas, and Atlas Military chatter can be heard over the in-ship radio.

Commander 1: we can't get the Hard Light shields back up, sir. The generators took too much damage!

Ironwood: then don't waste resource on them. Beta Squad, the creature?

Commander 2: we tried bombs, missiles, but we can't make a dent, sir.

Winter chimes into the conversation.

Winter: Sir, Schnee here. Penny is still MIA, but we've apprehended Redgrave, Jötum, Arc, Xiao Long, and Ren.

Ironwood: stand by for further orders, and don't let those fugitives out of your sight.

Winter: yes, sir. Of course.

Dean: this is turning out to be the worst brother/sister-in-law bonding I've ever been in.

Týra: if Vali heard that, he'd smack you on the head for that joke.

Mimir: and Weiss would probably join in on the beating.

Yang: guys, not now.

Winter just shakes her head at their conversation, then gasps as Monstra slowly comes into view through the windscreen. Jaune and Ren stare slackjawed at the gargantuan Grimm.

Dean: wow, it's a lot bigger up close.

Jaune: that's where the Grimm took Oscar and Ember. It's even bigger than I thought.

Mimir: eh, when you've seen these things for most of your immortal life, you get use to seeing giants that could crush you with little to no force.

Vine: changing the subject, Grimm don't take prisoners.

Yang: this one did. If you would just let us go--

Yang makes to get out of her seat, but Vine and Elm grab her shoulders, forcing her back down. Ironwood's voice comes through over the radio again.

Ironwood: cease fire. Manta squads, concentrate on secondary hostiles. Command is working on a solution for the creature.

Winter: what do you have in mind, sir?

Ironwood: we aren't making any progress attacking the thing from the outside. But from the inside, it could be vulnerable. Science team is putting together a bomb. When it's ready, we'll drop it off as close to the target as possible. Then, your team will deliver it on foot. Sending your rendezvous coordinates now.

Throughout Ironwood's order, Winter's face goes through a cycle of emotions: pensiveness, horror, denial, and finally, resolution.

Winter: Of course, sir. We will hold the point and we will get it done.

Dean, Týra, Mimir, Yang, Jaune, and Ren are taken aback.

Jaune: but Ember and Oscar are in there!

Yang: you can't do this!

As Yang struggles to break away from Elm and Vine's grasp, Winter's expression changes back to one of regret. Her right hand trembles before she steadies it by clenching her fist. However, unknown to them, both Dean and Týra were pissed, and one of them was going to murder someone.

*OSCAR*

Meanwhile, within Monstra's throne room, Salem is directing her Grimm by making sweeping gestures with her arms, similar to an orchestra conductor. Ember was in a Grimm-like cradle as she just watched. Emerald is spying on them from a short distance away. She seems conflicted about the present situation, steels herself, then leaves the room. In the hallway, she encounters the Seer but is able to evade detection using her Semblance.