Chapter 9: ADJUSTING BACK

The volume begins with Dean in his school uniform, siting at the desk in their new room. After going through the process of officially not being dead, they went back to the academy, where their first objective was to recover their stuff and get a new dorm. It was bad enough that they were claimed dead, but all their stuff was put in storage, and they lost their room. The newly formed Team RWBY was given theirs, but they luckily got a new one not long after.

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door, and was greeted by a familiar face.

Coco: hey, devil boy. Came to drop off some clothes for the cutie.

Dean: thanks, coco beans. Ember will love them.

Coco: still can't believe you guys actually took in a baby dragon Faunus of all things. Especially Vali and Týra.

Dean: they'll probably never admit it, but they love her. Besides, she practically claimed us, as evidence of nearly destroying the bullhead.

When Professor Jupiter had come to take Ember back to Haven, she had a meltdown and was about to destroy the whole ship. It was only when one of his teammates held her again did she calm down. It was then decided that she would remain with DVNT under their protection.

Not too long afterwards, Coco and Velvet immediately wanted to meet her. Needless to say, they've already offered to babysit when ever the team needed it.

Coco: by the way, Ruby's been asking for you. Says she wants you and your crew to have lunch with her and her friends.

Dean: sounds good. (Stands up)

Coco: hey, be honest with me, how are you guys doing?

Dean: (pause) adjusting. It's still weird at the fact we've been gone for one year, when it felt like one week to us. Not to mention that everyone in our lives presumed us dead.

Coco: not us. (Dean raises eyebrow) Fox, Yatsuhashi, and especially Velvet didn't believe you guys were gone. We knew you guys were tougher than anybody else. I mean, both you and Vali were killed on our initiation, and you guys came back from that. (Both chuckle)(places hand on shoulder) you guys may have lost a year, but you also have a chance to keep up in Beacon and get to know new people. You're already off to a good start with Ruby and Weiss.

Said girls had an argument similar to Vali and Dean's, specifically Weiss was irritated with Ruby being the leader. Both boys had a talk with the girls and it looks like their slowly getting better. By that, I mean Weiss is being less rude and actually listening more. At least she smiles more often then Vali's constant monotone expression.

Dean: well, like you said, have to make new friends. C'mon, let's go meet with the others.

They later arrive in the cafeteria where Coco goes off to her team and Dean searches for his friends. He notices Ruby and her friends nearby, and was about to go to them, when he hears a familiar shout in pain. He turns to see Velvet's ear being pulled by Cardin Winchester. When first seeing Team CRDL, DVNT immediately disliked them. And Dean has a history of hating bullies. Much to the point that he's been in multiple fights. Not liking that his friend's being hurt, he immediately walks over and grabs Cardin's ear and twists really hard. Cardin yelps in pain and let's go of Velvet's ear. The whole room stops what they're doing.

Cardin: what the shit!?

Dean: oh, I'm sorry. I heard you saying something about how this is how one should treat animals. Is it more like this? (Twists harder)

Cardin: (screams in pain) get this freak!

The rest of his team gets up and goes to attack Dean, but he just smirks and throws Cardin right at them. They're forced back and went into the tables, and Dean helps Velvet up.