Chapter 33: WELCOME TO HAVEN

The volume shows RNJR, Qrow, and Nikki we're walking down a stone brick tunnel with translucent lanterns.

Qrow: the city of Mistral...

Nora: ugh! It's about time! Whose idea was it to walk again?

Ren: well, we did face many obstacles. Broken airships, destroyed settlements...

Jaune: oh, and, you know, all those people and monsters that tried to murder us.

Ruby: pfft, we were fine. (Looking at Qrow with a smile) only one of us almost died.

Qrow: (looking at Ruby, smiling back) hey.

Nikki: so, love, will we see the school soon?

Jaune: yeah, how much farther to Haven Academy?

Qrow: almost there. But I figured I'd take you kids on the scenic route.

The group approaches a pair of large, wooden double doors, which Qrow opens, flooding the tunnel with sunlight. Ruby runs out onto a massive platform that doubles as an elevator, stopping at the railing to gaze out over the city in wide-eyed awe. Below them, large crowds of people are going about their day - walking around, talking and buying merchandise legally and illegally.

Ruby: wow. This... is... awesome!

Nikki: it's quite the view. (Grabs Ember from flying off)

Qrow: it's certainly something.

Ruby: (noticing a kiosk selling weapons) oh my gosh, look at all the weapons!

Qrow: vendors here'll sell you just about anything... whether they should or not.

Jaune: they really made the most out of these mountains.

Qrow: every inch. Stay away from the lower levels. The higher up you go, the nicer it gets.

Nora: and we are going up! (Pointing upward)

Nikki couldn't help but feel something was off. She didn't know what, but a voice in the back of her head was telling her that something's going on here.

*VALI and WEISS*

With the two firends, Vali was resting against the cargo while the ship was flying over an enormous lake.

Weiss: so, how much farther?

Pilot: we're in the home stretch now.

Vali: you're certain?

Pilot: yep. No more stops from here to Mistral. Sorry for the long trip. Keeping us off the radar's been harder than I thought. Lots of air traffic around northern Anima.

Weiss: it's fine. I... just hope we haven't been a burden.

Pilot: (chuckles) you and your money are more than welcome on this ship, kid.

The ship's radio suddenly picks up a transmission.

Pilot: (looking at it) what the...?

He reaches over and adjusts a slider, evening out the wavelengths on the screen.

Weiss: is everything okay?

Pilot: I don't know. We're still over Lake Matsu. Shouldn't be picking up broadcasts this far from Mistral. Someone must be close.

Mistral Pilot: (panics) mayday, mayday! We are a small passenger flight, and our Huntress is down! We aren't equipped to deal with this!

Pilot: oh man.