Chapter 36: KNOWN BY ITS SONG

The scene shows an old man, badly wounded, wandering in the remains of the underworld after the world's fall and Olympus's destruction. He soon arrives to a badly damaged temple for the gods. Jupiter's voice is then heard narrating it.

Jupiter: badly beaten and humiliated, the god used his higher calling form to descend away from the battle and escape. But he knew it would not last, and had but one last goal: to kill his son.

The god then looked down at the clothed item he held, and removed the cloth to show a large sword. It may have lacked energy, but there was enough in it to pull off one last trick.

???: Kratos...

He then turns around from the temple, grabs the sword with both hands, and plunges it in his torso. He then says an incantation in Greek and suddenly glows in a yellow lightning like aura.

Jupiter: in a desperate act to end the cycle of sons killing their fathers, the god casted aside what remained of his mortal form, and the god became something that the mortals fear more than anything: a monster.

From the god, a being separates from him and the glow fades to show it was Jupiter. He looks up and watches in horror as the god transforms, and the camera pans up to show a giant looming shadow of something over the broken statue of Zeus.

The story ends and the others look at him in shock at when he just revealed.

Ruby: what...what are you?

Jupiter: a shadow of my former self.

Nora: what happened to the other you?

Jupiter: he disappeared after that. For millennia, I've been searching for him. Looking into different pantheons to locate him.

Nikki: is that why you sent us? It wasn't for Ember, it was to find your crazy other side?

Jupiter: no. I assure you, it was never my intention to deceive you all. After I spent so long watching humanity, I've realized the ignorance of the gods. In a way, it was our own fault that we had fallen. Had we been better and less arrogant and paranoid, we could've prevented our destruction.

Ren: so, why come to us?

Jupiter: I had hoped, through you students, through Team DVNT, perhaps it could give me... closure. And maybe even redemption, for my past sins. Tell me... was I fool to think so?

Nikki honestly didn't know how to answer, and just went ahead and walked away. The others didn't say much, as now the info began processing in them.

*VT and WY*

At the Branwen Tribe camp, Vernal pours cups of tea for Vali, Weiss, Yang, Týra, and Raven. They're all inside Raven's tent with the latter five seated around a table.

Raven: (to Vernal) you can wait outside. Thank you. (Vernal exits)

Yang: so, what's the "truth"?

Raven: (taking a sip from her cup) you know, it's better when it's hot.

Weiss: you know, you're really obnoxious.

Vali: what is this about?

Raven: the truth is that "truth" is hard to come by. A story of victory for one person is a story of defeat for someone else. By now, your uncle has surely told Ruby and her friends plenty of stories.

Yang: well, he's never given me a reason to doubt him before.

Raven: that doesn't mean those reasons don't exist. (Yang glares at her) you know, you and your teammates might as well be the poster children for the Huntsman academies. Your motives vary, but you all enrolled to try and make the world a better place. It's adorable.