Chapter 58: CORDIALLY INVITED

The scene shows Team RWBY, DVNT, and Oscar in RWBY's dorm as Weiss was holding an invitation to a banquet hall at the Schnee Manor.

Weiss: only my father would turn a hostile takeover into a fluffy PR move.

Ruby: on the news, he said he just wanted to break bread and hash things out. Maybe it won't be so bad? We do want the General to start opening up to these people, right?

Dean: yeah, but on his terms. Ironwood's going to be locked in a room at his rival's own dinner party. I know Jacques says he's happy to moderate, but all that really means is he'll be the one controlling the conversation.

Nikki: and no matter how we look at it, someone's gonna get screwed.

Oscar: that's definitely one way of putting it.

Blake: not hard to imagine how that's gonna play out.

Weiss: I still can't believe he won. Robyn was supposed to be the people's champion, wasn't she? (Sighs) there's just too many coincidences.

Yang: you really think your dad might have something to do with Salem?

Vali: you pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into Hell.

Weiss: Vali's right. I think my father would do whatever it takes to win.

Ruby: and we should do the same.

Weiss: meaning...?

Ruby: well, no one knows your dad better than you, and out of everyone going tonight, I'd say you're the only one who could snoop around the house and not be questioned. If Jacques Schnee is up to something, I think we should know what it is.

Weiss thinks about it for a moment, then gains a somewhat determined look. Later on, they and the rest of the group arrive to the event where dozens of others are waiting.

Ironwood: suppose we should smile for the cameras?

Winter: sir, with all due respect, you'd have to pay me.

Ironwood smiles in amusement from Winter's response, and the two head to the front door of the manor. Weiss stops and takes a deep breath before following them. Everyone gathers at the door, and Ironwood rings the bell. The double doors open to reveal Whitley Schnee.

Whitley: good evening, everyone.

Weiss: where's Klein?

Whitley responds with a sarcastic smile and somewhat dramatic poses.

Whitley: what an interesting way to say "Hello, dear brother, how have you been?" (Cross his arms and frowns) I'm afraid you won't find him here. He was let go. I can't imagine why.

Whitley smirks, and upon realizing what he meant, Weiss gasps and looks guilty.

Whitley: General, exactly how large do you think our dining room table is?

Ironwood: I happen to know it's enormous. But most of my guests will be on standby in case the council requests additional eye witnesses. Until then I'm sure they'll be happily celebrating your father's victory.

Whitley forces a sarcastic grin with a smug chuckle, then rolls his eyes as he turns to lead them into the foyer. Scattered around the room are small groups of formally dressed guests. Waiters roam the room with trays of wine glasses and hors d'oeuvres. Whitley stops in the middle of the room, turns to Ironwood's group and points to his right.

Whitley: for those of you joining us in the dining room, please follow me.

He walks in the direction he pointed, crossing his arms behind his back. Ironwood, Winter, Penny and Clover follow. Clover glances back at the others.