Chapter 79: THE PARFAIT PREDICAMENT

The scene picks up a little after the last chapter. Ruby is running through the woods while caring her still shrunken teammates. After a bit, Ruby pants, stops running, and looks back. Ruby sighs in relief as Little pats her cheek.

Curious Cat: (hopping on top of mushrooms) I'm so glad the four of you are still the four of you. Not always the case in the Ever After.

Weiss: (fed up) You're the one who ditched us in the first place! Which, by the way, was how we ended up in that mushroom house to begin with! You know, where that delirious caterpillar-guy tried to drug us and then was swallowed up by a freaking hole in the ground?!

Curious Cat: (licking their paw) Ah, yes, yes. Alyx had a similar reaction the first time she saw someone return to the Ever After. But it's not how it seems... well, I suppose it is... but not the way you think, if you think like Alyx, which it seems like you do.

Weiss, Blake and Yang exchange glances with each other. The Cat hops from mushroom to mushroom while Ruby looks on, before looking down to Little. Their attention is then grabbed again by the cat.

Curious Cat: Ah ha! We're here.

The Cat proceeds down the path, and Ruby follows. She looks with astonishment at a large lake with lily pads carrying various denizens of the Ever After on them. They seem to be heading towards a grand structure toward the center of the lake with a large, pink lotus flower at the top.

Curious Cat: Better run.

Ruby hurries and jumps over to the giant lily pad with the Cat.

Yang: So, Cat. Going to explain to us how a giant caterpillar disappearing into a hole "isn't how it seems"?

Curious Cat: Mmmm, when we break or wear out or simply finish what we were made to do, we're called back. But Herb... his heart was too weak to listen, so I gave him a little bit of mine.

Blake: Is he... dead?

Curious Cat: (chuckles) No, no! Well, maybe a little bit, but not at all.

Yang: Ugh! Which is it?

Curious Cat: (clears throat) Now that Herb's properly returned, he'll be fixed up nice, and made into the Herb he wanted to be when he was still "Herb". Then he'll come back and find his purpose. Could be the same as before, or maybe not.

Ruby: When Herb comes back, will he remember anything?

Curious Cat: (laughs) What would be the point of that? (stretches) Just like Alyx, you lot. I know, I know, where you're from, things... (shudders) ...die... but we're just not like you at all. We... ascend. Herb will have a purpose again.

Weiss: That's impossible. Things have to die someday. Right?

Curious Cat: Wha-- goodness no! Though I suppose there is a creature... No, no, that's not the sort of thing you talk about in polite company...

*SHORT TIMESKIP*

Team RWBY and the Cat make landings to the center structure, and they step off the lily pad. A bird-like denizen is seen walking around carrying a tray.

Hawker: Get your hot, fresh, right-out-of-the-oven... (inaudible)

Blake: Wait, so what happened to Herb... that what happened to the King?

Team RWBY walks past the vendor.

Hawker: C'mon! Try our mud cookies! They're delicious! You don't wanna miss them! (inaudible)

Curious Cat: (to Blake) Oh, it was all very sad. The Red King couldn't cope when he lost to Alyx, a crying mess. Thankfully, he was called back and fixed up, and now he's the Prince you met.