Chapter 71: RISK

The scene begins with with teams DVNT, RWBY, Emerald, and Oscar in the meeting room. Weiss was pacing around the room, Emerald is leaning against a wall and Oscar is looking through the window. Everyone else is sitting at the table.

Mimir: well, if we had any doubts that Ironwood would go too far, I'd say now's the time to ditch them.

Dean: he's desperate, and it's clouding his better judgment.

Yang: (sighs) okay, Ironwood wants Penny, otherwise Mantle is done for. So, how do we stop him?

Blake: Qrow and Robyn are still in his custody, and May said that the Atlas security drones are watching the crater, so they're trapped too.

Oscar: and Salem isn't going to stay gone for much longer.

Nikki: not to mention Loptr is still out there.

Dean: and we haven't even seen Mundus.

Ruby: so then, it's impossible.

Emerald: see? If Miss Hero with all the answers doesn't have an answer, then we have ours.

Weiss: shut up.

Yang: (approaching Emerald) okay, then why don't you just leave?!

Emerald backs away in fear. However, Týra grabs both of them, and they look up to see her crossed expression.

Týra: this isn't the time to keep holding on to the past. If she wanted us dead or to leave, she would've done it by now.

Oscar: Týra's right. All of this doubt and worry and distrust, it isn't getting us anywhere.

Ruby: then nothing has changed! (Slams her hands on the table) we're in the exact same spot we were yesterday. Arguing what to do while the Kingdom waits to die.

Yang lays her hand on her shoulder to try and comfort her. Ruby shrugs the hand off and runs out of the room. Yang hesitates for a second, then runs after her.

A short while later, Dean leaves and soon finds Kasumi near a balcony. He joins her, and the two were in silence until Dean broke it.

Dean: heading out already?

Kasumi: I was planning to. (Beat) Dean, what I said back there—

Dean: why can't we work together? Just because we're opposite beings doesn't mean we can't still be friends. I get that this is a family matter to you, but that doesn't mean you have to go at it alone.

Kasumi: why do you care about this? It's my family matter, so why do you want to carry that weight too?

Dean: (looks out at the window) this whole started when my mother angered the gods, and was punished with immortality. And now, she's working with the monster who killed my grandparents, tortured my uncle and father, and even attacked my friends. All so they can get the relics together and bring Doomsday to Remnant. (Turns to her) this is my family matter, too. And, like it or not, ours are connected. So, instead fighting each other, we can help each other.

Kasumi thinks a bit, and then smiles while looking at him.

Kasumi: you're a lot more mature now.

Dean: I get that from my family.

Kasumi: you're still a dork, though.

Dean: I've been told that I get that from my dad.

Speaking of, said man was walking to them. Seeing this, Kasumi decided to exit and let the two hunters talk. After a moment, Dante broke the silence.