Chapter 45: ALONE IN THE WOODS

The scene shows the town covered in snow as the storm kicks up, and the group arriving to the main house.

Ruby: (sighs) I don't get it. The empty towns I've passed through were all damaged or unfinished. But this place looks... fine.

Weiss: Maybe everyone left in a hurry. Before things took a turn?

Vali: maybe. Every part of me is telling me to get outta this town as soon as possible.

Dean: unfortunately, we'll have to wait until morning. If we're lucky, the storm will either stop or calm down.

Qrow tries to open the door, only to notice it was locked.

Qrow: hmm. Stay on guard.

Qrow kicks the door open, everyone proceeds forward with their weapons drawn. They cautiously look around the place.

Maria: close the door already! It's cold enough in here as it is.

Maria walks into the house. Afterwards, Blake and Oscar push a nearby drawer to block the door.

Blake: I saw a chimney from the outside. Maybe we could get a fire going?

Weiss: please. I'll look for some blankets.

Qrow: Yang, go with her.

Ruby lingers by the entrance hall for the bit while the others look around. Oscar can be heard opening a door.

Oscar: looks like a study. Or, a library?

Nikki: some reading material would be good.

Ruby walks forward to notice a group of pictures on the wall of the family that owns Brunswick Farms. Blake walks up next to her.

Blake: what do you think?

Ruby: something doesn't feel right.

Blake: let's look for some--

Suddenly, a high-pitched scream is heard.

Ruby: Weiss!

Ruby and Blake head up the stairs and run into the room Yang and Weiss were in. Qrow also arrives, along with Dean and Vali. They look on the bed to see a pair of decomposing corpses...

Dean: (whispers) holy shit...

Vali: go down stairs.

The others begin to leave, and the brothers remain behind. This only confirmed their suspicions that something wasn't right here. Later on, a fire is burning in the fireplace. Weiss watches it, still shaken from what she saw earlier. Vali sits next to her and she leans her head on his shoulder. Blake wraps a blanket around them before sitting on the couch Yang is on. The group hears the door open and close, and Qrow, Dean and Týra walk back in, brushing snow off themselves.

Qrow: It's the same in every house.

Yang: what?

Dean: we checked every house top to bottom, and found people dead in their beds. But, what's odd, is that there's no signs of attack or diseases in the area.

Týra: they were just lying there, almost as if they perished in their sleep and never woke up.

Weiss: then we're not staying here, right?

Nikki: we don't really have a choice, love. Given the state of the storm, we'll die before making it to the nearest town.

Qrow: yeah. We'll have to wait for the storm to clear up.

Maria: well, might as well get comfortable. (Walks over to a bookshelf)

Yang: yeah, fat chance.