Chapter 72- The hearing

After what certainly was an eventful night, the chaos only got worse the following morning.
Everyone was sat in the kitchen, when a red envelope fell through the post box. No one knew why it came in what looked like muggle post, not by owl, but it wasn't really the time to think about it. The red seal had already burst, and the shape of a mouth formed. It announced that Harry was expelled, and his hearing was the following day. However, what I had just discovered that Mrs Weasley had failed to mention, was that I was in fact, the witness, that the letter mentioned. How fabulous for me.

So today, I'm sat in my bedroom, staring at the wardrobe after kicking Fred out, trying to find an appropriate outfit, for my trip to the ministry in exactly an hour. And I am absolutely shitting myself.
I of course, won't be in trouble. Being 17 comes with the magic, but Harry- that's a different story. It didn't occur to me, however, that I may be up for some trouble of my own, I had indeed forgotten that it was illegal to demonstrate magic in front of a muggle, at any age. So I really should have prepared myself for the tap on the window only seconds later. And the red peace of parchment that exploded in my face.

Miss Y/N Wood,
You are sentenced to a trial, following the witnessing statement applied at the hearing of Harry James Potter.
Your trial awaits, after knowingly performed magic in front of a muggle.
Yours sincerely,
The ministry, department of magical law.

As the howler spat and ripped to pieces, my heart pounded. I sank back on my bed, holding my breath, and sighing loudly. Great, another school to be expelled from. Where would I go next? Shit I'm done for. I wanted to climb back under the covers, and never come back out.
I trailed down the stairs, almost shaking with fear. I had no idea what to do, at least Harry had an excuse as to why he used magic, what was mine? I just had to keep reassuring myself, if I got expelled now, it wouldn't matter, I've got quidditch, and I've already got my Owls, I don't need Newts. But that could mean that I would've be able to achieve an auror.

I sat on the bottom step, near the kitchen, waiting for the order meeting to finish. They had come over to talk about the trial, of course, I could join if I wanted, but I wasn't that bothered. I had to get ready, and I would soon be informed of what I needed to do.
Not long later, the door swung open, and Fred entered. Seeing my head resting on my fist, he sighed, and sat down at the side of me, a worried look on his face. I gave him a small smile, before passing over the bits of howler I had managed to piece back together. As he read it, his face went through emotions one by one, all negative, before he finally placed the letter down, and turned to face me. On one hand, he was looking at me in sympathy and sadness, the other, looked angry, like the way his jaw tensed, and eyes narrowed.

Without even speaking, he took the letter from my hand, marching back into the order room, a bang echoed from where he slammed the letter on the table in front of everyone. There was uproar all at once, and I just didn't want to enter the room. I'd much prefer to sit here, and pretend like this situation wasn't happening. But I wasn't that lucky, I guess.
All at once, the room came rushing out, people around me, all asking me exact questions on the events that played out. But out of fear, I simply looked at my dad for help. He was always there when I needed him. He took my hand, and pulled me out from the swarm of aurors, and into the quietist room, that was never touched.

Along the wall, was the family tree, my portrait on the wall, and of course two black scribbles above my name. Dad turned to me, a sympathetic look on his face, as he pulled me into his arms. I squeezed him tightly, and never wanted to let go. Almost as if he would disappear any minute.
"Dad, I'm scared." I whispered, "Harry will get off, I know he will. But me, I'm 17, nearly 18, how am I supposed to explain anything. They won't even believe me."
He rubbed my back comfortingly, "your going to be fine. You did nothing wrong, and you saved Harry's life. You'll be alright sweetheart. I promise you. And as soon as your done with this year, we're going travelling. Just me and you. You can leave Fred he'll be fine. Mopey, but fine." He joked, relieving the tension; and making me laugh.
"I think Fred would die if I left him." I laughed.
Dad smiled, "he's a good kid. You'll have a good life together, and I can't wait for my grand babies." He laughed.
I shot him a look, but he just smiled innocently, "one day." He whispered.

——-
After finally releasing myself from Freds arms, and convincing him to let me go without him. Me and Harry took the floo, along with Arthur and Kingsley, and arrived at the ministry. We came across a big red phone box, in which Arthur announced our names, after dialling a number. Three visitor badges were spat from the machine, and Kingsley left for duty. As we entered the ministry, we neared a big long room, the occasional greeting towards Arthur as we passed. Heads seemed to turn to the both of us, and I didn't know if they were looking at me or Harry- maybe the both of us.

Harry was the first to be called into the room, a hesitant look on his face. I gave him a hug, and as much confidence as I could, whilst smiling. He nodded his head towards me, and hurried off into the room. The doors were thick and bolted, there must be a charm on them or something, as me and Arthur couldn't hear anything. Arthur kept telling me tips, and mentioning the right things to say, but my nerves were getting the best of me, and everything he was saying to me, wasn't really going in. Before long, a plump looking man, walked into the room. He didn't seem at all intimidating, and gave a genuinely warm smile. He gestured for me to enter the room, in which I gave a small smile to Mr Weasley, before following the mans point direction.

I took a deep breath before entering the room, relieved to see that Harry was not alone. In fact, I couldn't have hoped for anything more than Albus Dumblefore being stood at the side of him. Harry left the room, sending me a genuine smile as he exited. I instantly knew that he got off, and wouldn't be getting expelled. I only hoped that I had the same fate. Cornelius sent a small wave, a big smile upon his face- I guess that was a bonus, maybe I wouldn't get into trouble after all. But that's when I noticed, the bitch sat to the right of him. The bitch that might just be my end of Hogwarts, just like she ended my time at Beuxbatons. The bitch dressed in pink, that's what we called her. The bitch upon who, tortured us for months on end, until I left. And to my horror, we made direct eye contact, her mouth forming into a sickening grin.

"State your name and age." One of Fudge men spoke.
"Y/N Wood. 17."
"You attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and wizardry? Is that correct. Your final year?"
"Yes."
"And are you aware of the law stating that magic must not be performed in front of muggles?"
"Yes."
"Then why, did you?"
"Because there was a dementor that had both Harry and his muggle cousin pinned up against the wall, trying to suck out there souls. In which case, I had to act fast, and performed my Patronus spell." I reasoned.
"But.. you still performed the spell in front of a muggle."
A deep cough could be heard from the stands, and looking up, I was surprised to see that it was indeed Fudge clearing his throat.
"The pair are only children, the magic they performed had true intentions, and was done purely to the fact of the dementor attack. No other spell was performed, and given the witness from the street, I declare that just as Mr Potter, this case is closed. Miss Wood will not be found guilty, and will return back to Hogwarts after summer. Case closed."
I sighed, deep in relief, and shot the minister a grateful smile, in which he repeated. I happened to notice the look of disapproval on the bitches face, who sat at the side of him. I shot her a cocky smirk, making her scowl, and look the other way, darting her attention back to the other ministry members.

I suddenly had an idea. One that I could possible regret, or, it could be the greatest thing in life, who knows. But approaching the minister, and asking for a word, just could be the best thing I've ever done. We just had to await the reply.

—————
After a little discussion with Fudge, I entered the room to find that Harry and Arthur were no longer present, and only Kingsley stood, waiting for me. He gave me a quick nod, and a smile, gesturing for me to reach his side, and walk with him. We quickly apperated back to Grimmauld place, and landed in the hallway. I said my thanks to Kingsley, before he saluted mockingly, and headed back out of the door- most likely for more patrols. I laughed at the chanting coming from inside the room, "he got off, he got off." I instantly recognised the twins and Ginny's voices. I could hear Molly trying to shush them, as my dad and Harry appeared to be in a rather deep conversation.

Hearing a slight silence, I creaked the door open. The noise echoed the room, as everyone turned to look at me.
"Well, don't stop on my account.
She got off! She got off!" I yelled, to which the group screamed, and ran in for there hugs.
I was first greeted by both my dad, and Fred, hugging either of my sides, and sending each other deadly glares, as each one tried to take over. Fred gave my temple a kiss, and whispered in my ear, something I never expected. It made my heart pound, and cheeks redden, small goosebumps forming in my arms, from where his touch, trailed my skin.
"This causes for a reward later."